Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

I could be wrong but believe that Johnny Mitchell gets some of the brood stock from the Gladstone Harbour region, for the hatchery, please confirm Kurt.

So realistically these escapee fish are just going home to join their probable parents, if they haven't been caught and filleted, the parents that is.

Cheers,

John.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

With many year classes going over the wall - I dont think there will be an issue with genetics.

Chris

Life is too short - live everyday as if it is your last ...

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure that the DPI regulates what species/genetics are allowed to be put in any impoundment so if the fish escape it has a minimal negative impact on the wild environment. I believe that is one of the reasons hatcheries rotate their brood stock - so when something like what has happend at Awoonga eventuates it doesn't flood the wild barra with thousands of stocked fish of the same genetic make up

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

I would be keeping my eye on places like Baffle Creek where commerial netting has been banned. Suntag history has shown most barra leaving rivers during flood periods head south along the coast.
    Cheers Foxie
    I MUST ADMIT I AM GOOD IN BED

I CAN SLEEP FOR HOURS

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Foxie View Post
    I would be keeping my eye on places like Baffle Creek where commerial netting has been banned. Suntag history has shown most barra leaving rivers during flood periods head south along the coast.
    Cheers Foxie
    That could make for some interesting jack fishing in the baffle mate
    Finally got one

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snodger View Post
    That could make for some interesting jack fishing in the baffle mate
    The jack fishing in the Baffle has been real good even with the dirty water,and no bait around
    "For some people in our society, retirement is a tragedy. It's the end of their being productive and contributing something. We need productivity from everyone who is capable of contributing. Fishing is my vehicle, and I plan to keep going as long as I'm physically able."

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait to go chase some jacks and barra... mmmm
    Ben..

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone. First time poster here long time watcher.The pros are netting some barra around the place. I was sent a photo fo 1.2 tonnes of barra in a pro boat a couple of weeks ago, but this came from the narrows and i am sure they will be the fitzroy strain. I think there are barra everywhere at the moment anyway as i have been getting them in the calliope a regularly lately. I am tossing up whether to head down the boyne tomorrow or chase a few salties locally. A few bigger fish would be nice.

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Hi everyone. First time poster here long time watcher.The pros are netting some barra around the place. I was sent a photo fo 1.2 tonnes of barra in a pro boat a couple of weeks ago, but this came from the narrows and i am sure they will be the fitzroy strain. I think there are barra everywhere at the moment anyway as i have been getting them in the calliope a regularly lately. I am tossing up whether to head down the boyne tomorrow or chase a few salties locally. A few bigger fish would be nice.
    The fish that are left seem to be around the 90s year class if you intend to fish the mouth be prepared to share......
    "For some people in our society, retirement is a tragedy. It's the end of their being productive and contributing something. We need productivity from everyone who is capable of contributing. Fishing is my vehicle, and I plan to keep going as long as I'm physically able."

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234