Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bashed twice in 2 days

Saturday night was the first run for my new Hobie Pro Angler and my first red fish trip for a few weeks. I headed south to the Gold Coast, to a river I've done a bit in, it was a nice arvo with the forecast of a possible shower, but I had to do it.
    I launched at a ramp and got questioned about this funny looking craft, 10 minutes later I was on my way . 50 meters away was the first rock wall, about 3 casts latter bang, my first jack, only about 35cm but a Jacks a Jack.I continued on to my proposed hunting ground and got there in no time. The Hobie is every thing it's cracked up to be, very stable, lotsa room, but I did have a little trouble keeping it going in the direction I wanted without having my hand on the steering knob.
    My chosen fishing location was a group of jetties with big boats tied to them, I'd call it a marina but I don't think it was, because I don't think you can fish in marinas, so it was just some tied up boats and stuff. Anyways, it was just getting dark, so it was time to get serious.
    I have a little section of wall here I like, and I peppered it for quite some time for no result, then went for a troll up past the said boats and jetties, nothin. Tried another fav spot got a little bump, which I think was probably a Cod, it didn't have much venom to it, and didn’t come back. The Hobie was performing beautifully.
    Back to the first wall and after 2 or 3 casts BANG, I was on, good fish. After the initial hard hit and struggle, I started peddling the Yak away from the wall to get him clear, he was coming and felt nice. Then he changed gear and headed sideways, drag zip zip zip, pop, line broke at the leader double connection. This was a big fish and it hurt Bad. I fished on for an hour or so then packed up, put it back on the car and went to SpotX. Got some livies and fished a few hours for nothing. On the way back to the ramp mullet were getting smashed by sharks big-time, so I dropped a livie in amongst them and had a bit of short lived fun. Then home.
    Last night I had the opportunity to knock off work at 4ish , so what can a man do. Traffic was terrible but U get that. I went to a different spot I’d sussed out in my last days with the boat. Water was shallow but lotsa rocks, again 50 meters from the launch bang a 40ish Jack, Hmmm this is OK.
    Probably an hour on, I loose track, I’m on, this ones a bit better, same process, little fight and a tow out and I had a high 40’s red fish kicking at my feet. Rool on, another ½ hour or hour , Smash, wow, little fight turn the yak and drag him out, He goes sideways Zip Zip Zip Ziiiip Zip POP, I coulda cried. THE PAIN! Bashed again, I’d been molested twice in 3 days. These were both big fish, Real big. O’ it hurts. I got another 45ish on the way back to the car, but 2 big girls had 2 of my lures.
    So now I’ve gota go back and do it all again , and the missus just wont understand. Maybe next week, I gota crack that 60cm.

Cheers Dids

PS. Hobie is Ideal , you gota get one. Don’t know how you blokes with paddles get jacks out.

Sailfish
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Dids and good to see you having fun with your new toy. Man.. you are truly a jack's whisperer ey. I struggle to land my first and you are catching them with ease.
    I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself...

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice one Dids, least u r finding them. Good report mate and glad u like your new toy.

Pete
    "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you" - Satchel Paige

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

On ya dids, keep it up, sure to get one of thems big suckers onto the plasic soon...
    Experience is something you dont get until
    just after you need it.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work dids! Like Glen said I'm struggling getting one either lol what is the ideal lure retreive for Jacks? If I may ask..
    Glad to hear your enjoying the new craft to!
    Last edited by UndersizeBreamKing; 16-03-2011 at 01:19 PM.
    Ben..

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Bad luck Dids, you'll get him next time.

Get rid of your doubles mate, main line straight through to your leader tied with a slim beauty. Only way to go!

Glad to hear the Battleship went well!

Jeff.

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

good to hear your getin' a few red ones. jack off was the last time I fished the salt. looking to head to the gold coast in 2 weeks for a fish.

Justin

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

At least you are hooking them Dids....Better than fishing for nothing mate.

I agree with Jeff....ditch the doubles.
    Just not needed IMO.

Pete

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Onya dids. Great your crackin a few on the new yak. Bugger about the big ones, but there will be another time.
    Steve
    Finally got one

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ffejsmada View Post

Get rid of your doubles mate, main line straight through to your leader tied with a slim beauty. Only way to go!

Jeff.
    The second big fish broke at my Bimini so OK, time to try a new knot.
    Thanks Ffej

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast