Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Land based in Cairns

Hi I'm in Cairns working for a couple of weeks and am without a car or boat. Is there anywhere in Cairns, I am staying on the esplanade, that I can walk to to chase preferably a Barra, but being a realist anything will do. The marina is a no go fishing zone I have found. I am thinking of hiring a bike to get around. Any advise would be appreciated.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

The marina is like all marinas - no go. Walk out along the northern walkway past the yacht club area till you come to some signs which say fishing/no fishing on the outside of the marina wall. You will see others fishing there. A chance of picking up a range of fish including barra.
    Can't offer you a trip, boat is pretty much full.
    3Macks
    Last edited by 3Macks; 18-03-2011 at 08:37 PM.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen lots of people fishing, and some good fish caught on that last finger past the new yatch club restaurant. In actual fact l watched a group of school children with teachers spend a few hours there with some success....Now that's what l call an elective!

Good luck.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    I've seen lots of people fishing, and some good fish caught on that last finger past the new yatch club restaurant. In actual fact l watched a group of school children with teachers spend a few hours there with some success....Now that's what l call an elective!

Good luck.

Yeah, it was even on I-Fish the other nite.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

The other spots are some of the jetties further up the inlet, the fishing platform on the Barron at Stratford, if you get a bike or in the Barron near the highway bridges but keep to the higher banks.

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks' guys you've given me a couple of options at least. I was thinking of hiring one of those small Tinny's in the marina and trying the mangrove line across the inlet from the marina. Also there is a creek I saw coming back from Green Island just before we docked it looks promising.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pills View Post
    Thanks' guys you've given me a couple of options at least. I was thinking of hiring one of those small Tinny's in the marina and trying the mangrove line across the inlet from the marina. Also there is a creek I saw coming back from Green Island just before we docked it looks promising.
    Hills ck straight across, the flats in front of the hospital for grunter in the deeper spots high tide only. up the inlet in thr deeper holes and along the mangroves.

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks' again, I am at the Rydges esplanade next to the hospital so may have an early morning cast out the front while the big tides are on next week.

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Hired a small car and headed up into the Barron Gorge today, caught 3 Tarpon, hooked plenty more but keeping them hooked was the challenge.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, they all seem to know how to throw a hook pretty quickly. Great fun though, I love catching em.

Cheers,
    Roo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast