Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Something broke my boat!!!

Thur Arvo me and the ol girl headed over to labrador to get our selves some live bait then back to the upper reaches of the nerang river.
    The night before i went and sussed out a spot and while i was there, (just on the high tide) the place was going off. Trevors bustin up every where and every now and then you could hear the tell tail "snap" of a jack feeding off the surface. (Nath knows what im talking about).
    Just before dusk we got to the boat ramp, put the boat in the water and headed off. Got to the spot just as the tide was turning so made our selves compy and settled in for the night.
    Thing were pretty slow at first with only a few good size catties giving gwen a good run on her 6lb braid.

About 9ish the first schools of trevors turned up and the bust ups started.
    While we were getting the bait we also got a heap of prawns, half a doz were up around the 5-6 inch mark so gwen says hey give me one of those bigger prawns ill give them ago. who am i to argue, shes the one who will catch fish when no one else is.

She lobs it out where the last lot of action was and within a few minutes 6lb pink braid was pealing off her reel like there was no tomorrow..
    she finally turned him and after a few laps around the boat we had him netted.
    It was her first big eye and she was stoked. A nice 45cm model.

Now i had one reel loaded up with 30lb mono and 60lb leader and on that i put the tail half of an 10in mullet and parked it right at the base of one of the pilons.
    In the back two corners of the tinnie ive got two of them black rod holders that fit down through a hole and screw into place. this is where i put that rod and thinking if a jack hits it i dont want it doing loops around the pilons so i left the drag done up pretty tight..... good idea at the time.........

Now im sitting at the back facing the front thinking ,hows the serenity, when all of a sudden gwen eyes nearly poped out her head . I could see where she was looking and as i swung around all i got to see was my rod bent like ive never seen before and then bang. The line, the knots, the rod and reel all held but what ever it was hit with that much velocity it busted the rod holder, Snapped it off right under the where it gos through the alloy, and then the rod dropped down again to be nearly pointing straight out the back of the boat. ive gone the big grab for the rod ready to start backing off on the drag and nothing . I could still feel the weight of the sinker so i left it out for 5 min and nothing.
    i dont know what the hell it was but i am going back for another crack at him. Thats after i make my self up some new alloy rod holders....

Talking to the ol man tonight and he said it may have been a big jew as the bait didnt even have a tooth mark in it.

any ideas??

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Submarine?
    aspire to inspire before you expire

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Big jack, now you've gotta go back and get him

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

hand over the co -ordinates, ill get the 80lb handline out and send his teeth back

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Turtle going through the line???

Grand Slam
    Post Thanks / Like

A jack would usually leave some denture impressions. Gummy maybe?
    To the shed!

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Baker View Post
    Submarine?
    You're partly correct Mick. I reckon it was Dusty learning to drive his new unmanned survey submarine.
    3Macks

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

I reckon shark. theres plenty of big ones up the back of the nerang. They love big hunks of mullet too.

Andrew

Sailfish
    Post Thanks / Like

I am guessing a very big ray. Had a very similar experience around the northern end of Goldy.

Just to make sure, Wayne, you should really take me out to that spot
    I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself...

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Didley View Post
    Big jack, now you've gotta go back and get him

you read my mind dids a big jack for sure i had the same thing happen to me and yep landed a 48 cm model when they hit on locked up drag thats what will and can happen to the plastic rod holders
    Fishing bring it on no matter the type .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast