Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Default wet and windy hinchinbrook trip

just a quick report, went around the top end of hinchinbrook and flicked a few lures inbetween the rain. had a good session managing to land 3 jacks and 13 barra, best jack went 42 and 6 legal barra with the best going 65. we lost a number of good fish, taking 4 or 5 lures with them.

jake
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Some nice Barra and jacks Jake,

i miss the hinchenbrook area alot and townsville in general. The barra fishing over the next few yars is going to be awesome with such a big flush and constant rain not to mention the bara farm up there flooding and loosing alot of barra.

Seems the DOA prawn did the most of the damage

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good fish there. I understand that there is plenty of barra around Cardwell since the barra farm flooded.
    3Macks

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

i've heard of some huge numbers of them farm fish caught in a day, also heard reports about good numbers of wild fish. all of our fish came from the missionary bay area so at the moment they're still all wild fish. if anyone from down south wants to fish hinchinbrook, this year would be a good one to go.

them doa's are dynamite in the right conditions.

jake
    Last edited by snake; 03-04-2011 at 08:41 PM.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work mate. If it wasnt for that dam cyclone I coulda had a few myself at xmas. Plan on getting there later in the year.
    Steve
    Finally got one

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that Jake...I should be up there in June sometime but i suppose they will have gone off the bite by then..

Cheers Baz

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bazil Brush View Post
    Thanks for that Jake...I should be up there in June sometime but i suppose they will have gone off the bite by then..

Cheers Baz
    they'll still be there in june, but you might have to work a bit harder for them. tip for winter barra is that they'll be sitting in shallower(warmer) water and the best bite period will usually be in the arvo when its a little warmer.

jake