Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Finally - legal brissy river jewies

Wow …..You've gotta love Fridays - Specially with a good tide & a new outfit to try out!!!

Armed with a new Egrell S1 teamed with a Daiwa Advantage 2000 , I headed off for what was to be an interesting Friday afternoon / evening on the Brissy river.

Firstly my trip down the river was slowed when the police pulled me up while some US navy ship approached the Gateway bridge ....... boy talking about paranoid .... "sir can you please hug the port bank & proceed slowly till you are well past the ship"
    My plan was to hit the water & fish the run out tide with a run and gun approach - all lures but with only a small window before needed to pick up Gaz to join me , I decided to drop the anchor and fish a productive jewie spot to give my new egrell S1 / Advantage 2000 combo a go . As it turned out ...... I didn't need long before I got my first hit but failed to hook up - not long after I pull the hooks on a 80cm plus jewie while dicking around with the video before finally landing my first legal qld jewie ..A satisfying capture.jpg... 83cm on 6lb braid - what a hell of a fight & a hell of a way to break in the new outfit - I reckon everyone on the brissy river would have heard my yahoo .

Unfortunately this was about the time I need to up stumps & pick Gaz up ..... but that was OK ..... my sparrows had flown ….... - Gaz calls to let me know he is 15mins away so It was time to up anchor - when he asks about the fishing I lead him on & act all coy ----- he has no idea till I pick him up and ask him to throw a can in the live well ( come garbage bin) ....... the look on his face was worth bottling & so we celebrated with a well earned a beer. ( this is our first legal jewie in the brissy river)
    Rather than going back to where I had fished .... we decided to fish another location that had shown some previous promise & managed a few tailor on vibes........ including Gaz's double on one lure.
    Oh and then the unbelievable ….. Gaz & another mate fished this spot a couple of weeks back
    & Nick popped off a really smokin fish ( line just broke) - well Gaz retrieves the lure during his retreive …... yep that the one!!!! - couldnt see why the line failed but there was a good 10M of braid there.
    At this point of time - let me tell you about Gaz ...... aside from a really good bloke , he is a very focused angler who will put in the hard yards to achieve his fishing goal - be it jack , barra or jew - he is FOCUSED!!!! but right now it is a legal Jew and he / we have fished many hours to get those legals - but gaz goes that extra yard ( fishes night & day – boat based and even landbased at some ungodly hour. Well ... tonight he hit paydirt and landed his firstGaz's first legal jew.jpg and secondGaz and his 91cm PB.jpg legals (85cm & 91cm) ...... we both kept a fish for the table & released the 91cm jewie. Gaz got his on his own technique ...... so out of respect for the guy - no infos available ….. he can tell if he wishes .
    Anyhow the night didn't end there - we lost the anchor first & then had a flat battery ( 2 sounders / GPS & live well will do that to you) ..... had to leccy it back to the ramp before getting a tow for the last km …... very lucky that it was near the bottom of the tide

Anyhoos ....... Gaz you are a champ & it was great to see those 2 fish hit the deck after your efforts this and last winter.
    Tonight it is Jewfish cooked in Champagne / fresh cream with Mango ….... my favorite way to eat jewies

I reckon it is starting to come together buddy

Chris

Life is too short - live everyday as if it is your last ...

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

nice work fellas. woulda been cold as out there, but the hard yakka paid off. Great looking fish which I havent caught one of yet. Its on the list.
    Steve
    Finally got one

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snodger View Post
    nice work fellas. woulda been cold as out there, but the hard yakka paid off. Great looking fish which I havent caught one of yet. Its on the list.
    Steve
    Cold alright Steve - there were a group of young blokes on the bank with a roaring fire going ...... felt tempted to go across and say G'day. Worst still was the slow long run back up river on the leccy....... Luckily Gaz had his car at the boat passage ramp & we could use his battery to fire up the boat ...... then I had to run back to Colmslie ........... cold & a mixed bag of good and bad luck but hey it was worth it.

Chris

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on some nice fish.

I never managed a legal one for all my efforts there in the past.

Cheers,
    Roo.

Grand Slam
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by nagg View Post
    Cold alright Worst still was the slow long run back up river on the leccy....... Luckily Gaz had his car at the boat passage ramp & we could use his battery to fire up the boat ...... then I had to run back to Colmslie ........... cold & a mixed bag of good and bad luck but hey it was worth it.

Chris
    NAGG get a jump pack for your tub, handy for camp lights too.
    To the shed!

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

good fish lads, as you said finally a couple of legal ones showin up....good on yas...
    Experience is something you dont get until
    just after you need it.

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe the reason the police pulled you up was that they got wind that you had a weapon on board called the S1. I hate being pulled over by Police while you're on the water.......bad experiences, extremely minor offenses but it puts a dampener on the days outing. It was mainly when I first started boating in chartered waters coming from the bush where a fishing rod and a rifle went hand in hand and took pride of place in a boat before safety flares and drinking water.

Awesome session mate!

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DEANO68 View Post
    good fish lads, as you said finally a couple of legal ones showin up....good on yas...
    Thanks Deano ...... very satisfying ...specially when you target them .... We sounded out the 2 fish that Gaz caught
    I think there might be another assult on the cards.

Chris

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bracey View Post
    Maybe the reason the police pulled you up was that they got wind that you had a weapon on board called the S1. I hate being pulled over by Police while you're on the water.......bad experiences, extremely minor offenses but it puts a dampener on the days outing. It was mainly when I first started boating in chartered waters coming from the bush where a fishing rod and a rifle went hand in hand and took pride of place in a boat before safety flares and drinking water.

Awesome session mate!
    Very good Dave Mate the little S1 went well - it certainly got tested out on that fish (& the other one that I got to the boat) - so all up very happy.
    You cant get near that US warship ..... coming back they had a RIB running around with its blue flashing light on (midnight) & then I tried to get near where it is docked and there was security everywhere .

Chris

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Great work lads!! awesome fish. I am gunna have to come down and try it out one day.

Naggasaki,

Are you going to post the footage from the solo jewie? I would really like to see it...and the form of the S1 and angler!!!

Cheers Stavros
    There's plenty of room for all God's creatures.......right next to the mash potatoes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast