Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Exploring the Estuaries for bigger fish.

Recently been hitting the estuary up chasing some off your larger species I.e Salmon, GT's, Flatheads, Jacks etc.Mainly fishing along mangroves edges.

Been having some luck on the Tilsan Barra's of late. Everything from (what appears to be a 'not so noble' bream) to smelly catfish

Just wondering whats your favourite 'exploring' lure is to see what fish are on the chew.

Alarn.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends on tide conditions, weather conditions, water quality and what bait is around.

Jeff.

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

My go to lure for exploring is a Squidgy fish in 100mm rigged on a Squidgy fish head in 9gm 2/0 - caught everything from flathead to metre plus barra & Jew on them - fav colours are Black & Gold & drop bear

Regards Scotto
    So Many Fish - So little time !

I Proudly support the following companies: Shimano, G.Loomis, The Haines Group, Scientific Anglers, Abel Reels, Lowrance

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

I like a 7 inch gulp, same tecnique as Scotto, nice light jig head fish it slow and let it hang in the zone for as long as possible

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Alarn,

I'm only new to Gladstone (9 weeks) and I have moved here from Hervey bay qld.
    The lures of choice have changed allot since moving here.
    The barra gear is used a lot more for the estuaries instead of 2500 spin gear, and my favourite being 80mm gold bomber for the shallow rock bars in the narrows as well as 15+ river rats in gold speckle colour (don't know the exact name).
    For plastics 4" paddle tail snapback in purple/white colour (don't know the name) and squidgy fish head same as Scotto. I use 20LB jinkai leader with 12Lb braid on a stradic 4000 and diawa sol rod. This would stop most things in the bay however here in Gladstone I’m getting smoked a fair bit, but still fun.
    Other than that its fly all the way, gotta love flyfishing in the salt and Gladstone has some fantastic opportunities, next on my list is permit woohoooo.
    Hope this helps, plenty more lures to be used but this is my go to stuff

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm also watching this thread and learning
    Ben..

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Treno View Post
    Alarn,

I'm only new to Gladstone (9 weeks) and I have moved here from Hervey bay qld.
    The lures of choice have changed allot since moving here.
    The barra gear is used a lot more for the estuaries instead of 2500 spin gear, and my favourite being 80mm gold bomber for the shallow rock bars in the narrows as well as 15+ river rats in gold speckle colour (don't know the exact name).
    For plastics 4" paddle tail snapback in purple/white colour (don't know the name) and squidgy fish head same as Scotto. I use 20LB jinkai leader with 12Lb braid on a stradic 4000 and diawa sol rod. This would stop most things in the bay however here in Gladstone I’m getting smoked a fair bit, but still fun.
    Other than that its fly all the way, gotta love flyfishing in the salt and Gladstone has some fantastic opportunities, next on my list is permit woohoooo.
    Hope this helps, plenty more lures to be used but this is my go to stuff
    I use 2500 spin gear quite alot and hardly had any issues with handling larger fish.
    Only recently started chucking barra gear around in the estuary.
    I'm planning a trip this easter holidays and know a perfect place for flies.
    Hopefully I can manage a first, not to mention got my Certate up and running again.
    So, I'll be sure keen to trial it on some jack (Hopefully).
    You wouldn't happen to know Gazza at Tackleworld by any chance would you?

Thanks.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

For me in your neck of the woods my first lure in the water is a plastic paddletail between 80 and 100mm long. Brands are not as important as colour tho. For cleanish waters for the area I run a colour similar to the water colour, tending to a whitish tinge or clearish tinge in variation. In less clean waters i run solid whites, reds and dark colours for better results. Weights are entirely dependent on currents, depths and drift patterns.
    For hard bodies, my first casts are made with a slow rolling shallow diver like a Yo-Zuri Pins Minnow and if no result comes from that i go to a Scorpion 2.5 to 3.5m depth.
    Shallow runners are usually close to a gar or mullet colour, deep divers are more greens or browns. Gold bombers work well in discoloured waters.

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Boofman, Yeah mate i know gazza from tackleworld. He's also one who has gone to the dark side (flyfishing) ha...ha....ha.....

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

I like to throw a squidgey minnow around 65-80mm in a darkish green colour with a white belly and paddle tail. Light jig head.
    or a lake police blade or hollow bellies.
    Steve
    Finally got one