Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fatherhood and Fishing

After the pretty good weather we experienced for the first half of the Easter Break, I was expecting to see a few more decent fishing reports here by now. Alas, they are few and far between, so I’ll share a report of my brief fishing trip, and the lead up.

Prior to Easter, we were expecting our third child. So, as the school holidays started, the kids were packed up and sent to Grandmas, and I was on short notice, bags packed ready to go. I stopped looking at Seabreaze, knowing I was only teasing myself. The weather was awesome, but I kept working, and waiting. On the weekend I got in two solid days on the Haines project, which was a rare treat.

My wife was becoming increasing anxious, not helped by a few sessions of false labour, that didn’t eventuate into anything. She was eight days overdue, so on the Wednesday (20th April) we headed into the hospital for the labour to be induced. After a long and stressful day, baby Rebecca arrived just after 5pm. Mum and bub were all good, and it was pretty special, as fathers would understand.

The following few days were filled with lots of texts, phone calls, emails, photographs, and visits. Mum and bub came home on Saturday, all very exciting, and quite daunting, even though we’ve done it all before, I’d sort of forgotten (data dumped) all the baby knowledge as it’s been a few years. But luckily she is a pretty good bub, feeding well and sleeping pretty good.

Come Monday, all was going pretty good on the home front, so I took my previously arranged leave pass, to go and meet and fish with a visiting international angler. The location was the Clarence River, so I headed south on Easter Monday afternoon, and arrived in Yamba around 5pm. I hadn’t had my boat out for six or eight weeks, since I did an interior fitout, so I wanted to give it a quick run, and make sure everything was working ok.

I ducked out to middle wall for a look, and it turns out, I lucked onto the high tide change. So I rigged up for Jewies with a 6” Gulp grub on a 5/8 Oz Nitro head, and proceeded to hop the gulp along the bottom, near the end of middle wall. It was pitch dark by 6pm, and I got bit on the drop by something with a bit of weight and a slow thumping action. I suspected a ray, as I’d hooked an Eagle Ray here on a previous trip. There was little speed, but decent weight as I worked it up on the 14lb braid. A few minutes in, I feel some definite headshakes.....hey, this could be a Jewie? A minute or so later a long silver shape materialised beside the boat, and I was stoked to slip the net under a nice Jewie. It went 85cm on the mat! It was hooked deep though, and was not looking good for release.

So I put it in the livewell to see if it would come good. About half an hour later, the tide was starting to work out. The Grub was on the bottom in about 40 foot of water, I’d just lifted the lid to check the jewie again when the Gulp got crunched, Bang On! This one started off with headshakes straight away, then ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ, big run, then some more headshakes, then nothing...............damn! it had shaken the jig.

Half an hour later again, the tide was running out a bit harder, but still fishable, I was about to head in when – BANG! ON! This time I struck hard four or five times to set the hook. The fish didn’t like that at all, and took off on a screaming run towards the end of the wall. I was getting worried, so started the big motor and began to give chase. But, about the same time, the fish stopped, then shook its head and changed direction. I momentarily lost tension, but winding like hell, I got it back again, only to feel more big headshakes and then nothing, I would flat out trying to find some weight, but the jig had once again come loose.............damn it! That is one empty weightless feeling......

I tried to fish on for a while longer, but the tide was hooking now, so I retired with a poor average of 1 out of 3, but stoked to hook three good Jewies in one session. The last one was a Good Fish!

I headed back to the ramp at idle, as it was pitch black. I pulled out, and had a servo dinner, before retiring to a quiet roadside spot for the evening.
    Up at five to pick up Patrick, he just happened to be staying in the steepest, tightest street in Maclean. I’m sure I woke up most of the street as I did a 10 point turn up their driveways. I then had to engage low range to get out of there without burning out the clutch. Great way to start the day!

Out on the water finally, but we missed the early morning tide change and our shot at a decent jewie. Fortunately we found a few little guys up at Browns Rocks, along with some bream, but it was tough going! The weather was shocking, with wind squalls and heavy rain coming through every half hour or so. It was great to spend time on the water with Patrick though, an international angler with so much knowledge and experience, and some great stories. Patrick was stoked to catch his first Aussie Mulloway, as he used to target them a lot in South Africa, virtually the same species, but they grow to over 100kg.

We toughed it out till nearly 1pm, before heading into the Yamba Tavern to dry out, have a feed and talk fishing some more.

As I was driving home, I was pretty wrecked, but the soul was certainly re-invigorated, it’s amazing what a good hard fishing session or two can do for you when you’ve been off the water a while.

Fortunately I left late enough to miss the worst of the long weekend traffic, and arrived home to the reality of domestic chaos at dinner time – once again you need to be a father to understand! So I dug deep, and found the energy I needed to get through the next couple of hours.

All good, I know how lucky I was to be able to get away! Kids are back into school routine now. Bub is feeding and sleeping well (nearly six hours straight last night – what a little champion) Mum is doing a great job with everything, and there is so much to do with a new bub.

So there is my ‘not so brief report’ it could be a while before my next one, so I’m relying on you guys to post a few more reports to keep me going,
    Cheers,
    Matt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

nice Matt ..... love your work

Once again - a BIG CONGRATS ON THE NEW ADDITION !

chris

Life is too short - live everyday as if it is your last ...

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Well Done Matt on both accounts.
    Congratulations to you and Mum on the new addition,
    Cheers Foxie
    I MUST ADMIT I AM GOOD IN BED

I CAN SLEEP FOR HOURS

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome stuff.

Jew is still on the "To catch" list for me.

Nice report, I could tell by the photo's themselves it was a great trip!

Congratz on the new born.

Alarn.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

congrats matt on your new little one,and on a great fish,we had a few good sessions on them in the brissy river a few years back good fun

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Great to hear that all is going well with the new addition to the family.......and that you're still managing to get out for a fish

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

good work all round matt. headin down there in 2 weeks. is it clean? Cheers. Keith

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone,

We had our first real rough day Saturday, but she's come good again.

Keith, Yep its pretty clear at the moment, much better than the soup I fished there in November last year.

Cheers,

Matt

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good read Matty, thanks
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"