Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default From one extreme to the other

Hi there, one of my mates rang yesterday to see if I was interested in a day fishing.Silly question.
    It was arranged for him to dig some blood worms and we would take my boat.
    He arrived at my place at 6.00 am this morning with the temp.not much above freezing and we headed off to Swansea to see if we could find a few bream or whiting.
    Fishing was slow to start,in fact it took 4 shifts to get the first bite.However,as the sun rose higher and the temperature warmed up,so did the fishing.Over the next couple of hours we put a reasonable feed into the ice slurry.
    There were quite a few undersize bream and tarwhine about but the odd keeper was mixed in with them.At the end of the morning we had 8 nice bream,three tarwhine,three whiting and a couple of trevally.I also caught a few sea garfish which will come in handy for tailor baits in the next club round this coming weekend.
    We were fishing in about 2m of water near the lake entrance and the tide was really racing out,so all of the fish felt good on the line,but about mid morning I hooked a fish that really had the drag screaming.I was using a light spin outfit with 6lb line and it was about 10 min before we got our first look at the fish and about another 10 min before we could net it - a salmon about 3kg.

Next cast I felt a slight touch on the line and wound this in.Greedy little buggers aren't they.That is a number 4 long shank hook and the fish is not much bigger

Both the salmon and grinner were released to fight another day,the remainder are tea tonight
    aspire to inspire before you expire

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

good on ya mick, thats a good salmon...
    Experience is something you dont get until
    just after you need it.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice salmon Mick....bloody grinners...they are everywhere. !!

Steve

Grand Slam
    Post Thanks / Like

LOVE THAT LAKE MCquarie.

Good fishing and you can moore at the Wangi for a steak sanga and a beer at lunch time.
    To the shed!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice stuff Mick,

got to be happy to hit the water when the boat traffic slows and less people are out compared to the weekends. Water colour looks good too.

Cheers

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Bahahahaha...from one extreme to the other.. love it Mick..that boat certainly sees some fish..
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good Salmon Mick. You threw the bait back - I catch grinners on metal lures while spinning for macks. You need to put them under lock and key before someone else has grabbed it for bait.

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    LOVE THAT LAKE MCquarie.

Good fishing and you can moore at the Wangi for a steak sanga and a beer at lunch time.
    Haven't tried that.Must keep it in mind but I mainly fish the channel - seem to get a good return most times for minimum fuel costs.
    Cheers,Mick

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by happygilmour View Post
    Nice stuff Mick,

got to be happy to hit the water when the boat traffic slows and less people are out compared to the weekends. Water colour looks good too.

Cheers
    Hi there Aaron,I was surprised at the number of boats about - large number of shift workers from the mines and power stations plus all us old pensioners.Certainly less than weekends though.Yes, the water is a good colour at the moment -not too clear but clean.
    Cheers, Mick

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 3Macks View Post
    Good Salmon Mick. You threw the bait back - I catch grinners on metal lures while spinning for macks. You need to put them under lock and key before someone else has grabbed it for bait.
    Glad to hear that there is a use for grinners.They drive me crazy when using live mullet for flathead and bait is scarce.The buggers seem to eat anything.
    Mick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast