Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Default barra a little hard to tempt

Hi all,

Just a quick report from a solo trip on sunday. With the great weather at the end of last week i was hearing good reports of barra and with a good weather forecast i thought i'd hit some exposed flats for a fish. On a 6:30am arrival i was greeted by 10-15's, bugger. Headed up a nearby creek for a snag bash. Hopes were high as 2 weeks earlier a mate and i cleaned up in the same area, managed to find a heap of greenbacks in the mouth of the creek and pulled a 60cm from below them on the 3rd cast, i then pulled the hooks on a solid fish and the fish shutdown. I worked my way up stream accounting for 5 jacks to 41cm and eventually found some barra stacked up on a snag but only managed 4 rats before they shutdown. There were a heap of little GT's, Queenies, cod and barracuda keeping me busy too. It was a strange day in the creek as snags that have produced in the past and some that would just have to hold fish drew a blank but others that were just one stick would produce and they didn't seem to be necessarily holding deep or shallow, there was no pattern at all but i guess thats why it's called fishing not catching.

Jake
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a great day to me Jake! Is that top lure a thready buster?

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a top day to me as well Jake well done..... I bought a couple of those thready Busters before i left on our trip & by the look of that i'm glad i did...Can you buy them from the shops up here or do you have to go through the web site...
    Baz

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Didley View Post
    Looks like a great day to me Jake! Is that top lure a thready buster?
    it sure is. the other one is a transam. i've been fishing them side by side and so far it's been pretty even but the threadybuster is $10 cheaper so it gets my vote.

Jake

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bazil Brush View Post
    Sounds like a top day to me as well Jake well done..... I bought a couple of those thready Busters before i left on our trip & by the look of that i'm glad i did...Can you buy them from the shops up here or do you have to go through the web site...
    Baz
    i hope you've got a tackle back too! i buy mine from Protackle in townsville, not sure if anyone else stocks them.

Jake

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jake..Hope to be up that way by the end of July might have to stock up..Wouldnt mind knowing the name of that creek your fishing (PM if you like)

Baz

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a good session mate, nice fish!
    To much water to fish and not enough time......

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    it sure is. the other one is a transam. i've been fishing them side by side and so far it's been pretty even but the threadybuster is $10 cheaper so it gets my vote
    Threadybusters are more robust as well...
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bazil Brush View Post
    Thanks Jake..Hope to be up that way by the end of July might have to stock up..Wouldnt mind knowing the name of that creek your fishing (PM if you like)

Baz
    Don't worry about that creek it's hard to get to and definitly not worth the extra effort but you never know if you never go. Send me a pm when you get here and i'll do my best to point you in the right direction.

Jake