Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Winter Jacks

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

I put it down to the great flush the rivers had Chris. Nagg touched on the science of Jacks travels some where else, I still find it hard to believe their there year round and just not biting, but I don't have any answers.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Didley View Post
    I put it down to the great flush the rivers had Chris. Nagg touched on the science of Jacks travels some where else, I still find it hard to believe their there year round and just not biting, but I don't have any answers.
    It would be interesting to know what they do in winter - but I'm fairly confident that those juveniles remain in the estuaries all year ...... I say that because it does not appear to be a run of fish & those that spawn are the bigger fish out on the reefs - The only Jacks that seem to get caught on the reefs are the larger specimens.
    Now while I have not done a lot of jack fishing - my first encounters were at South West rocks in the river (Sept) ..... these fish have not migrated.
    The one that sticks out though were fish that were way up the little feeder creeks in the Hinchinbrook area ....... stacks around the the mangrove roots but virtually as far as you could get a hornet into - once again early Sept.

so I'm thinking , that like other species - their metabolic rate drops with the lower temps & they only feed occasionally ....... then how many of us actually fish for them in Winter ?

That's my thought

Chris

Life is too short - live everyday as if it is your last ...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

You gotta laugh hey????

The ól Jack theories get bandied about every winter, every summer, every year, without fail.

Will we ever know?

I don't think so, unless a serious tagging program with gps tracking is done and I can't see that happening.

What I do know is that more Jacks are being caught in winter of late (last 5 years), ços more people are fishing for them and working their winter habits out.

What I have learnt about winter jacking (from fishing for them myself and from some very good Jack anglers) is that slow, slow and then even slower presentations on the bottom seem to be to their liking.
    That's up here in the Noosa anyway.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    anyone figure out the tidal difference times for Johns?
    I think its about 40 years behind Noosa.........

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

lol funny andrew
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Sailfish
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Didley View Post
    It's gunna be a great Summer I can feel it in my bones.
    I hope so!! Need to pop my jack cherry asap. Its the only species that still haunt me....
    I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234