Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Stanage Bay Trip

Well finally the report of my stanage bay trip was finally here .
    Left on the 8th at 4.30 am in the morning to arrive at staangey bay at 3.00pm

Road was in good condition so made things a tad more comfortable then first preppared or so i thought any get to that part later

Settled into the oasis shed for a 5 night stay for fishing , crabbing ,drinking and all round relaxation

First morning up at 6.00 off for a explore to find some great spot to lure and live bait fish many little creeks to choose from but found this one that had great structure and plenty of streams , run offs , mangroves and rock bars . Not much sucess nut foundd good bait so cast net a heap of live mullet , herring and gar . Kept alive for afternoon session at the kjew hole i had been told about goes from 40 foot to 133 foot then back to 40
    Fished it on the slack point of the tide for one little tap. We knew after this that it was going to be a struggle so decide that would do for the frist day head back checked the pots one good size buck in the esky back to the shed

Second day up earlly again this time i decided i want to check out the headland areas and shallow reef spots so first checked the pots for nil crabs this time oh well let them soak till the afternoon . Off out the top of quial to look for GT spot found some great white water with good current flow flogged it for a hour for yep nil result oh well we will go and try for a reef fish drfting over the bomby a gold spot cod chases my gulp up and smacks it great visual watching it hard fight and the getaway first fish landed drifted for another hour or so but no hits decided to go back to the gts water and yep nil either by then it was time for lunch off we go and haver a good feed . decided to go for another fish in the jew hole and in a spot i marked in the creek had some good hits for cod and bream but nothing to rave about slipped out to the jew hole for a fish on the slack water and yep no hits either .

Well third day deicded to try the rock shelf areas out the front fish them hard for no result again frustrating but gave them a hour and decided to troll for mackeral did that for around 3 hours till the worms where biting again in for lunch
    Afternoon session was more of the same trolling for maccys and no result anyway we went for a fish in the creek again to finish off and caught a few samon , mark the fellow who was in my boat got a small thready both jumping around good show . anyway decided to check the pots in for dinner

Fourth day decide i wanted to fish on my own chasing GT, And anything that would say hello to my awaitng popper but yep perfect water for it but no fish . So i had a short trip in for lunch , Afternoon i decided i needed to fix a guard on my trialer which had come off on the way up
    so grab the welder from von and fixed the guard . Last thing of the day i moved the crab pots as we had no succes on them we score a bit of info on a spot that had been going ok so moved mine to there .

Fifth day i decided i wanted to have a cruz so whent over in the morning and did the full crab pot run to come back with 8 crabs yes we hit the crabs finally
    By the time we moved a few pots from another area to there it was getting on 11 so in for a good lunch and bit of relaxtion till round 5 in the afternoon where wwe hoped the wind drop but yep hadnt so due to a few waves coming over the front of the tub i decided to leave them till the morning and enjoy the last night festivitys

LAst morning headed out in a 20 knot plus NE wind and yep in the other fellows boat to try abnd resuce the crab pots well i was itting my self all the way over as the sea rared there head we both discussed leaving them there but made the trip in anyway . When we got there tried to get in the mangroves to get the pots but the swell was breaking in there so no go so we left 10 crab pots set and hope someone finds them and scores a few good crabs as well just wasnt worth out life and destorying a good engine .

Anyway all packed up heading bacak home this is where the drama really happed i was on a good run chatting away as i do when we heard a tyre squeal and next minute the getaway was up beside the car stopped and got out to see why this happed and well to my amaze brand new ubolt had broken of asnd yep help the others unrattle and axle when from under the trailer devastated to say the least being it had gone over a casue way . First evaluation the motor was ok then look at the boat ok trailer well lets say in no longer exsits and will soon rusts too the ground where it lies

Heart breaking after all the work i put into the boat and trailer but i guess at the end of it all the boat is ok and the motor ahs minor scracths on it so i got 2 out of 3 back .

Overall great trip some good fish caugbht by all and crabs as well but most of all the relaxtion was worth it Im sure the picture will tell the stroy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Fishing bring it on no matter the type .

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are some more piccys
    Last edited by nipsta; 14-08-2011 at 12:50 PM.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

How'd you get her home Nip?Pity you didn't score your GT,I know you wanted one.She's a pretty rugged ride in there from all accounts.Good the Getaway's all safe.Nice pics,bit dramatic a couple of em.

Paulo
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Bloody hell mate, look's like a top trip spoilt by one ubolt... Some nice fish & Crab's there..

Baz

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Ouch! - gee mate , you are lucky to have not destroyed the lot ...... bummer of an end to a long planned trip.
    Fishing sounded pretty tough - would you go back ?

Chris

Life is too short - live everyday as if it is your last ...

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Put theboat on top of the roof of the navara and drove back like that

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice looking place Grant. Its on my wish list.
    So how did you get her home?
    Finally got one

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

What the missus reckon when you rocked home? Rolled her eyes?Shook her head?
    Paulo
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Would i go back let me think HELL YEAH what a place i used this trip to learn a small amount that would help me down the track such a massive area didnt even really touch the surface and im sure at different times of the year it will fire up

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Owwweee the pic of the boat off the causeway made me cringe very glad to see it was ok after it's fall..
    Good trip besides tho!!
    Ben..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast