Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barra-wednesdi

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Barra-wednesdi

With the weather improving today and my recent dose of man-flu subsiding I decided to give my newly aquired thready buster a run.

Stuffed around a bit in the morning so didn't get on the water til almost ten. Given the time of day I wasn't really expecting much action but was just grateful to be on the water.

First spot I stopped at was a shallow flat loaded with bait. About three casts in I managed to jag the mother of all stingrays which after thrashing around a foot of water took off a million miles an hour. Had me worried for a bit about how I was going to get my brand new lure back but luckily the hooks ended up pulling.

Continued working along the bank with the out going tide without much success. Plenty of jumping bait with the occasional swirl behind it but no luck. As the tide slowed I managed to come across a spot with a few promising shows on the sounder. I had only been there abou 2 mins when there was a "baby boof" behind a snag on the bank. A few cast later and finally I was on. Wasn't 100% sure what I had at first but then the familiar paddle tail off a barra broke the surface. A bit of a tussle later and I had myself my first genuine (non Awoonga escapee) barra on the mat.

To say I was stoked was an under statement. Been trying for a proper saltie for a while now and have managed to hook some beauties but failed to wrangle them into the net.

Kept on casting and continued to get hits but failed to hook up. Not sure what the go was but when they were getting hit they were folding over on them selves and both trebles would imbed back into the lure and failed to hook the fish. Maybe i was just a bit slow on the strike????

I started to pay a little bit more attention to my sounder and could see schooled fish with the odd bigger ones appearing occasionally. Decided to have a drift and just jig the thready buster through the schools. It wasn't long until I came up tight again, nothing to big though. Wound up a tiddler blue salmon which spat the hooks at the boat, but as the lure dropped back down a little barra came up and ate the lure instead! Cant complain with that. Only a bub but a barra none the less.

By then it was time to pick my daughter up from school so I had to leave them bitting. But when my daughter heard that I'd been catching barra she wanted in on it too! Ever since my 5 year old was old enough to hold on to a rod she has wanted to catch a barra so who was I to say no?

Back to spot X I go but slightly different tactics now. The tide had risen and I didn't want to be in the boat with a 5 year old casting with trebles so we decided a to troll hardbodies instead. Not 2 minutes in and my rod was nearly ripped from my hands. My drag was screaming and I was caught completely by suprise. All that was running through my mind was how big is this barra?! When we finally got it boat side I was amazed that it was no barra but a big threadfin! I was over the moon as I had never caught a thready on a lure before (even if it was only on the troll).

By the time we removed the hooks from the thready we were back at the start line so lines back in and off we went again. Once again, we oonly went a short distance before something climbed on. This time it was my daughters turn. A bit of a tussle and she finally had her first barra in her hot little hands. Once a agin not a stonker but enough barra to make one very happy little girl.

We had a few more passes after that but the fish had started to move on and the sun was dissapearing quickly so made the run home.

Sorry about some of the pics but you get that when fishing by yourself or having a 5 year old photographer lol.

Last edited by dambuster; 07-09-2011 at 10:53 PM.

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

What a couple of hot little sessions, conratulations to both you on your catch.

Well done!

Dave

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome work, judging by the colour they seem like they came over the dam wall. I've also noticed a few barra getting around in the estuaries aswell. But, I'm more envious about the Thready, still never caught one yet!

If you ever need a fishing buddy, I'll be more then willing to tag along.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done young lady. Oh, and to her dad as well. Nice way of spending a day.
    Now, I'm not saying we should invoke capital punishment for Stupidity, but how about we just take all the warning labels off everything and let nature sort itself out?

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

thats a top arvo on the water...great stuff...
    Experience is something you dont get until
    just after you need it.

Sailfish
    Post Thanks / Like

Brilliant stuff mate pics were fine, what a top session well done!
    Nath

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Great work,Kev...

Love seeing kids catching fish. Your little lady looks very happy.

How good and versatile are threadybusters!

Cheers

Pete
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

That's one happy looking kid. Graet report.
    3Macks

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Top report mate,some very nice fish there, congrat's to your daugher & to yourself on that great Thready..

Baz

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Some beautifull fish there.....and nice pics to top it off.

Well done mate.

Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast