Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default This is Living..

Well...after a few phone calls last week,the weekends plan was finally taking shape. With the weather looking a bit up and down it was decided to meet up with Pete and Rob on Friday morning for a fish in the Burrum. We met up at the Burrum Cvan Park,which has changed a bit since i was there last,for the better i might add. We launched the boats from Wals Camp,Pacific Haven around 9.30 am,with the tide still having about 3 hours till low. We pulled up at a likely loong rock bar and within a few minutes i had a rat barra of about 50cm on the board.

Rat.. by PaulChew50, on Flickr

I was a little surprised,as the water was still cold,only showing around 21 on the sounder. The fish fell to a Glass shad rap with st66 No.4 hooks. After a couple of cod we moved down a bit,where Rob soon locked up solid on a nice little Salty just under 70 cm. I think he was pretty happy,particularly after the redeye drive up,but with Rob it was a little hard to tell.

Fish on by PaulChew50, on Flickr

Its really
    In the net. by PaulChew50, on Flickr

High Five.. by PaulChew50, on Flickr

Its moments like this that Andy and i really enjoy,seeing a whole lot of effort getting rewarded,and the boys put in a fair effort just to get here. I tossed out a slider on the S1,chasing a tarpon,and soon it was bending and the 6 lb running out a little. After a short tussle a small Herring hit the mat.

Little Fella by PaulChew50, on Flickr

WIth that Andy started tossing around a Zman Paddle tail,Rigged on a 3/0 Worm hook plus sinker,Happy style, and was hit on the drop. Good fish,was mentioned.. SO i wound in rolled my eyes and grabbed the net. After a pretty fair fight on the spin gear,a nice salty hit the mat as well.

Awesome..No so great a net shot.. by PaulChew50, on Flickr

On the mat. by PaulChew50, on Flickr

Letting her go by PaulChew50, on Flickr

The temp hadnt risen much,hovering around 22 degrees.
    With that,we headed down some more,getting a damaged Tailor along the way as well as more cod.

Mangled Tailor by PaulChew50, on Flickr

Some kinda cod by PaulChew50, on Flickr

After working some banks for little reward,we started backtracking. I tied on a suspending Richos with immediate results,watching a nice barra rise on the slowly rising lure, and inhaling it ever so gently. I am really impressed with the positive hookups using the Decoy Wide Gapes that i fitted to the Richos. I will be changing all my regular lures over when i can. The boys had electriced past and i threw out a Tsunami 5" Paddle tail rigged with a worm hook,and sinker, and was adjusting my buff when the rod was nearly ripped out of my hand. After a short struggle,where the fish managed to swim back out of the tree it had me in,a nice Jack hit the net...Woohoo...i was stoked...particularly after last years season. Couple of pics and back it went.

On the board for the season. by PaulChew50, on Flickr

Love it. by PaulChew50, on Flickr

Had ya. by PaulChew50, on Flickr

A couple casts later Andy hooks a pup on his light gear..Great colours though.Better results definately were had,working the lures super slow. I dont think they really have come out of their winter slumber properly yet.

Gotcha by PaulChew50, on Flickr

Chrome again by PaulChew50, on Flickr

Pete and Rob had now managed to drop a couple,and had moved down,and i managed another 60ish fish before we called it a day. Was a pretty good day all in all. The next day was a bit of a write off,with the big storm coming through and kind of running out of time. Sunday was,really a Sunday fish,With Jode on board,we had a few drinks,and Managed a few Cod,and Rob lost a nice Barra near the boat,and Pete lost a nice one late in the day,oh and landed a rat early on on a loaned Richos. So while the fishing wasnt spectacular,it wasnt bad,with great mates,a cookup for lunch and some cold beers after fishing,its really my idea of an awesome weekend...Cannot wait to do it again. A couple of things you dont see every day was a small pig swimming across the river,and, a school of Eagle Rays heading out with the tide and almost becoming stranded,having to turn against the tide,and retreat....

Not much water when the rays are beaching themselves.. by PaulChew50, on Flickr

Turn around... by PaulChew50, on Flickr

RUn AWay.... by PaulChew50, on Flickr

Bit of a novelty for the boys by PaulChew50, on Flickr

Buggered.. by PaulChew50, on Flickr

Dry Land...at last by PaulChew50, on Flickr

Hows the serenity by PaulChew50, on Flickr

Andys Salty.. by PaulChew50, on Flickr

fishing 1 by PaulChew50, on Flickr

Hows the Serenity...Gotta love fishing with great mates.
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

That certainly is living!

Some nice fish. Excellent photos btw.

Cheers,
    Roo.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

great effort chewy,love the read ,making me feel homesick lol,i would have launched a lure at the piglet it would have been a PB for that species and not many would beat it either and it would have been good on the barby

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Roo...
    Yea Al,we had a quick discussion,Pete wanted to put it straight in the net....But having it in the boat would have become a pain all arv
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done Chewy! That is livin'. Proof in pudding eh?
    Cheers deefa

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Now.. THAT is fishing. Well done lads.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Good work guys, looks like a top trip out.
    Fishing Fishing Fishing. I like Fishing

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice boys, very nice!
    I assume that the Blues Brothers were throwing surface at that porker Chewy? We were looking around for a spot for the end of the month, that looks the goods
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Noice one Chewy,glad you got the boys on to fish.Whats with the big hats,Andy taking up Country music.Very nice fish all around,did like that Jack.Re Sunday if you only would have answered your pms Saturday night I'd have been on the water early(out of reach for emergency chores).Never mind always this weekend and....DEANO! Seeing him Wednesday,they're now staying at Harbour View.
    Paulo
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome report Chewy, looks like you and the boys were living the dream for a few days on the river. Some healthy looking fish caught too.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast