Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What are Uncles for?

The Yalta is now two years old, and I realized that young Kyle, my nephew, has never had a trip out with me.... ever, let alone in the new boat!! I have been that focussed on offshore trips and learning as much as I can about catching bigger fish, getting a good crew of experienced offshore guys.... But Kyle has been there in the background, growing up quickly and waiting patiently for the chance to catch a fish or two in my boat.. So the 3 of us including his Dad, (taking the photos) set off from Manly at 1st light for a leisurely family trip.

The 1st shot is a bit of a worry, red sky in morning but proved to be a false alarm. Beautiful time of the morning to be headed out

But Kyle is enjoying himself sitting at the back and absorbing the surrounds while listening to his ..... Heavy metal on the ipod... Sheesh!

But he did catch a fish or two, got a head start on us... Getting a fish to the side of the boat counts on the scoreboard doesn't it? Even if he lifts it out of the water with line wound in all the way to the tip of the rod? And we practiced the "pump and wind" instead of the winch method, no matter what, even if the fish is taking drag, keep winding Kyle!! LOL But that's OK mate, you did well, listened to what we were telling you, but your Uncle needed a fish just to brag that he really does catch fish occasionally. The jighead is custom colour glow white with red eyes, big eye by Dayoo.

56cm on the brag mat

Northerly/ NE winds kept coming, we didn't catch a lot of fish, 41cm Snap, a parrot, a bream, some whiting, small grassies, a 45cm flattie. It was a great relaxing trip, I enjoy occasionally doing a light trip where I would have been bashing my boat into a bit of slop had I gone offshore. The Yalta made easy work of the windy conditions on Saturday around Mud, Kyle kept his breakfast down, Brother Andrew enjoyed taking photos.

Great day all up

Aquaholic

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

i have a nephew too that would love to get out but me in hervey bay him in tassie,i keep him up to date with pics and reports,well done on your fish