Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot little Sesh

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hot little Sesh

G'Day guys,

Had a fun little 2 hour sesh yesterday arvo. After all the talk of the J.O, it got me primed to get my first jack of the season but who am i to argue if a couple of barra wanted to jump on instead. What can you do hey? They live in the same habitat and eat the same things. Obviously they were released after a photo.

Got 2 and a half barra and a cod. I say a "half" cos i dropped him right at my feet. The one I lost would have went 60cm but he made short work of my light 20lb leader and busted through it, so after an uprgrade to 40lb, I quickly landed another of 45cm and another one that was 59cm. Caught a little cod too which actually managed to snag me before coming out again.

All landed on 10lb braid, 3-6kg starlo stix TP and Stradic 3000. Mackay residents will recognise the location - the barra are so strong and fit from this spot. The large tidal variation and massive water movement that funnels through the rock bar here ensures that they pull like an absolute demon and feel bigger that what they really are. The next photos I post up will have a "Fishing Mania" lure hangin out of its mouth thanks to Dan

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done mate, some hard pulling Barra there well done.

I spent a week in mackay & never wet a line, local knowledge help's. was bloody windy though..
    Baz

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

nice little spot that one luke dave has been gettin heaps last couple of weeks

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done Luke, some nice fish on some light gear. Weather permitting I'll be up your way after Christmas to fish a couple of those impoundments up there, I wouldn't mind catching up for a fish in the salty stuff too mate.

Keep you posted, nice session mate.

Cheers Dave

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeh awesome stuff Dave, will catch up for sure. Send us a pm when you know dates

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petejones View Post
    nice little spot that one luke dave has been gettin heaps last couple of weeks
    Has he been getting heaps of barra Pete? or other stuff as well? I know he chases flatty a lot

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff Luke. I had some fun with queenies near there and droPped a monster thready. That was on Saturday arvo. Lad I was fishing with got a nice 42cm jack. We did see about 4 barra jumping well clear of the water?

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

heaps of barra luke got 13 the other day biggest 96cm just before closed season and a couple of nice threadies

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

makes me wanna go back to darwin to catch a few barra! good work =)

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done, good little session on light gear. Us Brisbane folk have to rely on the stories of others when it comes to Barra. Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast