Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How good is Peel...?

Hit Peel solo on Saturday as Kyle had a hot online date with his new PS3 game (Battlefield 3) on Friday night! Arrived pre-dawn to magic conditions with lots of surface activity and baitschools lighting up the sounder. Got a small snap on a blade with my second drop only to have it sharked halfway to the boat. Poor little bugger didn't know what hit him! Over the next hour I was sharked once more, landed half a dozen snaps to 34cm and landed three whaler sharks - the biggest around 1.2m - all on 10lb braid. They actually hit my blade and soft plastic..

Drifted near the Isolated Hazard Beacon when Archer (Joe) came over for a quick chat. He was hunting tuna but they were scarce. Good to put a face to another AA name. Nice to meet ya Joe!

After a quick drift on the east side that yielded a small tuskie I headed to Bird Island for some breamin...

I had my favourite mirashad already tied on as I arrived and I threw it to a small surface disruption...ZZZZZZZZZZ! I was on immediately and after a long fight I landed a good sized dart! Then I cracked a pattern that saw me spot-lock the i-pilot, cast across the current/tidal run and retrieve the mirashad with a dead slow roll with the odd pause.

First to fall was a 32cm grassy emperor, then a 38cm snap, then another 10 small snaps, another small grassy emperor, another 37cm snap, a 35cm snap and then a 38cm silver trevally. Another 7 small snapper before a 36cm hit the deck - all on the same mirashad with 4lb nanofil and 6lb leader. I think I've discovered my new love. Everything but bream on bream gear! T'was a morning of long zzzzzzzzzs...

Headed out again today (Sunday) with a tired and bug-eyed Kyle but a blustery northerly wind made conditions difficult. Kyle nailed a 34cm snap on his blade before we again headed to Bird Island. Kyle lost his gold mirashad when he got dusted by a grassy that made it back to the coral. My mirashad started to score immediately and I manged 4 snaps to 36cm. The mirashad lost a treble to a big hit and was retired for the rest of the day...

We then tried the coral at SW Rocks where I got a 35cm snapper on a R2S chubby and finally Kyle nailed a small bream. We then headed to Ormiston reef to use the wind drift and high tide to our advantage. Kyle managed another 5 bream to 26cm and a small gold spot cod. My mojo had disappeared with the mirashad and I could only manage a single small cod from three drifts...

We called it a day soon after and headed in for lunch. I will try to add some pics tomorrow. Lots of fun on the bay...

Cheers

Pete & Kyle
    Last edited by Peter4; 13-11-2011 at 08:30 PM.
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Another nice couple of trips Pete. Well done mate I look forward to a peel trip one day with Cheryl.
    Steve
    Finally got one

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

nice one boys
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Great report Peter.
    Baz

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Plenty of action there Pete, good work on getting the sharks in!

Do you ever throw Gulps?

Cheers,

Matt

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Top report Pete,love reading them.You and Kyle never seem to miss out on your trips well done.Good to see the Nanofil is still doing it for you.
    Paulo
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matt fraser View Post
    Do you ever throw Gulps?
    Nah Matt. We used to throw them all the time with mixed success but we got sick of the smelly gulp juice leaking and stinking up the place. We now use atomics and zooms...

Quote Originally Posted by Barramag View Post
    Top report Pete,love reading them.You and Kyle never seem to miss out on your trips well done.Good to see the Nanofil is still doing it for you.
    Lovin' the Nanofil Paulo. Had the odd wind knot but nowhere near as much as with Crystal Fireline. Extra casting distance more than makes up for it!

We always manage at least a fish or two. Saturday was a cracker for me. Final count was around 30 snapper, 3 sharks, 2 grassy emperor, a dart, a pike, a tuskie and a silver trevally...nice variety!
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post
    Nah Matt. We used to throw them all the time with mixed success but we got sick of the smelly gulp juice leaking and stinking up the place. We now use atomics and zooms...
    Ah, now I see why you keep getting the little ones.........

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice one P&K!