Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ren & Nags Excellent Adventure

Hi AA's

Just a quick write up of our (Big Ren + one other) recent trip to the Narrows area (Gladstone) with a quick look at Baffle Creek.
    Headed up last Friday week - picking up Paul on the way - The 7 1/2 hour trip was pretty uneventful and we arrived at Ramsays crossing with enough time to set up camp & get the pots in before sunset.
    Over the next few days we caught an array of species (Barra , Fingermark , gold spot estuary cod , Tarpon , Pikey Bream , flathead & a most unwelcomed capture by "the other" ...... a sea snake.
    Crabbing was fairly poor with only a handful of legals ..... & a lot of undersized bucks & Jennies ..... with pots spread far and wide over the course of the trip.
    With reasonable conditions I would have thought that we would have done much better than the 40 odd fish landed & had it not been for reverting to my Sydney bream fishing techniques ..... results would have been poor!
    All up though , "the narrows' part of the trip was enjoyable for the remoteness , hassle free camping .....along with a great feed & open fire - the company makes it what it is!!!!!
    Btw .... with all the problems at Gladstone - The fish caught were in excellent condition & at times you could have walked on the turtles ..... plus for the first time we saw dolphins on several occasions
    Our plan was to include a bit of a look at Baffle on the way back to Brisbane ....... so after a pack up on Thursday morning we headed off to Baffle Bobs with "the other" joining us for a quick fish & dinner before heading off ........
    Now neither Ren or I had been to Baffle before , so we were pretty anxious over what to expect (specially navigation)........... arrival had us setting up a quick camp before dumping the pots & having a quick fish . We launched at the old Ferry Crossing & headed to Oyster Creek.
    A pretty uneventful session on Friday - bar a couple of missed barra , dropped Tarpon , landed Tarpon and a jack attack that opened the hooks on my hardbody at one particular snag named... "Renag Snag" - it was still a great time exploring this fraction of the Baffle system.
    Baffle will certainly see several return visits over the coming months...... Though for all the serenity of Ramsays crossing - we had to put up with The Feral's at Baffle Bobs .... fighting till 3.30am
    Anyhow ....... so while not braining the fish this trip - I personally had my best results at Curtis ...... but as usual enjoyed myself - This was only my third chance to fish with Ren ....... but my first in spending some serious time on the water - and it was great........ lots of laughs & way too much drunk - well almost
    As for "the other" - Well I always enjoy time away with him You'll have to work out who "the other" is Stargazer.jpg

Some quick statistics ...... we covered 1400 road kilometers & 350 water kilometers ........ Big Ren consumed 8.5 (30 packs) of Gold...... I'll have to have a beer with him one day I burnt about 2 tonne of wood ......... & Ren & I between us suffered approx 500 sandfly bites.

Now time to plan the next trip!

I do apologize for the lack of photos ...... Maybe my Photographer can put a few up!

Cheers

Chris
    oyster creek.jpgRenag Snag.jpg

Life is too short - live everyday as if it is your last ...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice report Chris look forward to some more photos.Baffle Bobs is still a bit Banjo County then.The jack got off I take it.Pleased you had a good trip.Wednesday we nearly came up to say hi,but we persevered.Roadworks were a pain hey.
    Paulo
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barramag View Post
    Nice report Chris look forward to some more photos.Baffle Bobs is still a bit Banjo County then.The jack got off I take it.Pleased you had a good trip.Wednesday we nearly came up to say hi,but we persevered.Roadworks were a pain hey.
    Paulo
    Shame you didn't get up there Paulo - Its a interesting place ( not picturesque) certainly remote .... you do feel a million miles from anywhere!!

Baffle Bobs was actually pretty good ........ we just happened to have a family of Feral's camp next to us on the second night & they were into it all night - Ren can give you their family history if you asked (he didn't sleep) .
    Those road works were crap ( we copped it in Sept too) ...... it was great to turn off at Miriam vale to head to Baffle.

Chris

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

btw .... I caught a fish at Curtis Is that looked like a pikey bream initially (1kg) - though it was black on landing & changed to bronze once out of the water...... it kind of looked like a Sooty with rubbery lips

Any ideas ?

Chris

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nagg View Post
    btw .... I caught a fish at Curtis Is that looked like a pikey bream initially (1kg) - though it was black on landing & changed to bronze once out of the water...... it kind of looked like a Sooty with rubbery lips

Any ideas ?

Chris
    Colour changes are interesting,spiky like a bream? Sand Bass??
    Paulo
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome report Chris, great to see you all get a few fish in between drinks. Seeing that many dolphins and turtles in the area of Curtis is a good sign.

Cheers Dave

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bracey View Post
    Awesome report Chris, great to see you all get a few fish in between drinks. Seeing that many dolphins and turtles in the area of Curtis is a good sign.

Cheers Dave
    Hi Dave

We normally see quite a few turtles - this time they were pretty thick ....... but it was the first time I'd seen the dolphins .... so that was good to see.

Chris

Sailfish
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds a hoot fellas glad ya had a good trip.... Gotta do baffle one day!!

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

NIce report chris baffle is a very challenging system did you find those areas i told you about rock ledge area so many spots to choose. Did you do any live baiting at all at the baffle ?

Look Forward to the rest of the piccys
    Fishing bring it on no matter the type .

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

nice one lads, surprised reno only got threw 8 cartons though..
    Experience is something you dont get until
    just after you need it.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast