Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Luck comes in 3's

Well they say luck comes in threes. Unfortunately this apllies not only to good luck, but also to bad luck.
    Have had a pretty terrible couple of weeks with getting screwed over for a job for next year, having a major bushfire get within a few hundred metres of our family home (great that it missed but still a very stressful time) and then finding out that the house we are currently in (which is awesoema nd we love) has been sold so we will be evicted early next year and most likely moved out of the town we are in. I guess the good news is that I've had my bad run so now nothing else will go wrong.

On the flip side I've also had a serries of good luck when it comes to fishing. Two weeks ago I caught a very decent GT on the S-10, last week I caught a sailfish with my bare hands, well I did use a tea towel, so this week I was determined to land myself a proper barra.

I caught wind that the man that I call the barra whisperer was taking Friday off as the tides, water temp, sunrise and planets had all aligned and he reckoned that it was game on. Not wanting to miss out I also arranged for Friday off and prepared for the 3.30am alarm - yes brutal.

We slipped into the creek before 5am and the barra whisper was right, the fish action was amazing. Barra were boofing all over the place, big threadies were slashing around and the sounder was lit up with bait.

We trolled a few classics for a couple of solid strikes, but no hook ups so we dicied livies were the go. We quickly gathered plenty of mullet and anchored up at one of my mates favourite little feeder creeks. Our baits were sent out the back and we began to wait in anticipation for that first run - it did not take long. My mate hooked up within the first few minutes and began to battle with quite a reasonable fish. It made a few spirited runs and jumps but my mate had obviously done this before and slid it into the net within no time. Within about five minutes of having placed the first bait in the water, he had put a healthy 91cm barra on board, had pics taken and then had it swimming again for release. I don't call him the barra whisperer for nothing.

We had a steady stream of by catch through out the day with a few jacks, flatties, cod and even a queensland groper coming aboard. The whisperer also managed 2 other barra going 86cm and 80cm.

I had one good run and was freespooling some line nervously wanting to engage the reel and hook up. Just as I was about to a good sized barra come up to the surface and shook my livie from its mouth. Devastated.

Still determined as ever I sent out one of the last livies we had. I was really hoping to land myself a barra and get three good fish in as many weekends. I was not looking foward to the prospect of having to get up at 3.30am the next day to make this happen. My mate managed another good run but this fish also spat the bait before it could be hooked. While winding up his line we managed to get a nice tangle between our two lines. We both nervously joked that I would probably get a good run while messing about with the tangle. Yep! Thats exactly what happened. We frantically grabbed the knive and cut his line into a mess trying to free mine which we maneged to do. My line had a sickening slackness to it. I wound it up and was pleasanty surprised to find the fish had swum towards the boat and was still hooked. There was a few tense moments as it made for the mangroves and then under the boat but I was eventaully able to slide it into the net. My best barra at 76cm had cemented my believe in luck coming in 3's.

All barra were released but a jack, flattie and a couple of muddies were kept for a nice feed. Was a perfect way to offset a crappy few weeks.

Cheers Nath
    It's not about the fish, it's about fishing!

Real men wear PINK!

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Great report there Nath, with some nice piccy's. I hope things on the home front settle down for ya next year.

Cheers Dave

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Some nice fish there mate.

Now, are you going out to try for number four?

Cheers,
    Roo.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rooboy98 View Post
    Some nice fish there mate.

Now, are you going out to try for number four?

Cheers,
    Roo.
    Nah mate, luck doesn't come in fours.

A marlin would be nice though.

Cheers Nath
    It's not about the fish, it's about fishing!

Real men wear PINK!

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done Nath really happy you got one mate well deserved. Now if you will just share that creek location .
    Steve
    Finally got one