Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Grand Slam
    Post Thanks / Like

Well Nip and i fed a bucket full of livies to the locals in the Maroochy this evening and caught Jack, jack s#it that is. Actually Nip got two good flatties and I could a cracka Trev on the new T Curv. But no jack, mind you there was plenty of river traffic, jet skis, bloody wake boats, tubes etc. it's a bloody wionder we got any thing. The fish we caught were after dark after the louts has left but no Jack. I think the comotion puts them off.
    To the shed!

Sailfish
    Post Thanks / Like

Get out the Game chair and gear Poit puk em drag the buggers out with thier snags and for that cod spewing smell sicky stuff use it a a livey....

It will happen soon enough bro

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pete62 View Post
    Boys, what sort of country are we taking about here? I fish snags and light gear, gently or not would end in heart ache every time, no disrespect.

Pete
    Pete, lighter lines tend not to end in the snags as much. The harder you fight the jacks the more determined they are to reach shelter. Getting done over on 15kg is pretty normal fishing that heavy, getting done over on 8lb or 6lb braid is less common cuz the fish race around in open water more.

I catch a substantial lot of jacks at times and all are on 15lb lines max, usually 8lb and 5lb braids. I have also learned that jacks frequent clear waters outside of thier snags a lot more than the snag itself. If they know you are there by your boat or noises you make they will hang in the snag more, let them relax and they will sit outside the snag feeding well.

Kayaks are definitely the best boat for jacks because of the zero noise factor.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123