Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hitting up the Esuary!

So after going out and grabbing myself a new Certate 25R I was keen to hit the estuary.

With my gear set the night before, I headed off early Wednesday morning.

It was wet and cold but, I was determined to get out for a fish.

Got to the spot chucking around a PX45, no luck with surface after a solid hour of fishing, so I switched to a SX40 in a shrimp immitation colour. A few cast later I was on to my first fish, a small trev and the Certate curse was broken within the first hour and a bit!

Decided to give the creek a rest and decided to head up to the marina, fishing my way up.

5 minutes threw my walk I crossed by a nice patch of mangroves, had a few cast. With only a few follows by small bream. I was sure that, this was all that I would get.

Just as I go to pull out my SX40 after twitching out of a mangrove I see a solid flash, and the next thing Zzzzz! I'm on. It was a Queenfish around 40-50cm, only a few inches of line later and it had me across a Mangrove only to get busted of a few seconds later.

A few curses later and a swallowed sorrow, I put on a Jackall Chubbie in Clear Suji Shrimp and kept on walking.

By now I was in the Marina, reading to fish of the Pontoons. Walking my way across the boardwalk I couldn't help but have a few cast along the mangroves along the bank.

After fishing a few mangroves with few bumps, I finally got to the one where I previously had luck.

First cast, and a big twitch to get down deep, later followed with a dead slow roll. Just as I meet the beginning of the mangrove, drag screams and I'm on, SO I THOUGHT! Spat the hook, continued the retreive and tried again a few times with no further luck.

Up further I walked, as I came across the last mangrove along the boardwalk before the ramp to the pontoons.

Same retreive, same lure and within the first cast picked up a 51cm Flatty. First photo worthy fish of the day! After a photo and a healthy release I was keen to get a few more.

Finally at the pontoons, kept persisting with the same clear suji shrimp Jackall. Just chucking towards the bank that I was previous fishing and rolling it back towards the pontoons.

After about 30 minutes, it would seemed to have been quite quiet. Walked down further along the pontoon adjacent from the spot that I had previously dropped to fish.

Cast number 1 would provide with another smack, a good sign! Second cast in I was on, after a very decent fight up came a bream around the 30-35cm TTF bream.

A VERY good bream for the Marina, must I say a PB in my case. With a smile on my face I kneeled down to pick it up, and SNAP! the hook broke of and away the fish went!

Quite irritated with the thought of this, I once again regain my prosture and continued on.

2 cast later I was on again! It was a bream, not a huge fish but a first for the Certate.

Measuring 27cm TTF I was stoked to get the target specie! After another photo, I then released it. A few cast later the fish went quiet.

I then changed to a Brown Suji Shrimp, hoping to get a different response with a different colour.

Walked back down to the mangrove from the opposite side of the pontoon, same mangroe but instead chucking towards the pontoon and retreiving it back.

First cast, I was on again. In came another bream at around 24cm TTF, a few minutes later I would hook up again to a 29'er TTF.

Unfortunately not much longer I had to leave at around midday.

Good day, but not forgotten as that night I kitted up again, and prepared myself for another day of breamin'.

Got there again early, the weather was more ideal being sunny.

Walked to the pontoons straight up, first cast would be at THE mangrove with no luck after 20minutes I was sure the tide had something to do with thefishing the day before.

I walked down further chucking the clear Suji Shrimp again, only to feel a solid bump, I strike and I'm on to a very solid fish. During the fight I get a flashback of how it struck, and only to relise that the only fish that have ever hit like that in the marina was a Barramundi. Just before I could get a glimpse, it threw the hook.

After a close inspection, it would be clear that my species guess was very likely as I could see wrasp about 3 inches up my 6lb line!

After a quick re-ty I was in it again, casted the same spot again only to be on a second time within the first hour!

This felt more like a bream I thought, only to see living proof that my guess was good.

Up came a VERY nice bream for the Marina/Gladstone, and after my previous trip I remembered to bring my landbase landing net.

A WISE CHOICE! As I had landed him successfully measuring at 34cm TTF!

Being a new PB for me!

The day from then on was pretty quiet, after sussing out a new spot for most of the day only landing the one bream on the brown Suji Shrimp going 25cm TTF.

Overall a great 2 days, good getting away from Barra fishing for a while to appreciate some light line fishing.

I hope I didn't bore you too much, so here are the photo's!

Thanks for reading.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good report mate, pity about all the lost fish but you landed quite a few nice fish anyway, well done.

Baz

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratz on your PB Bream, and too bad about droppiong the queenie and barra.
    Have to ask about the photos. Did you enhace the colours in them, or is that what quality your camera produces? If so, what are you using?

Cheers

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Congratz on your PB Bream, and too bad about droppiong the queenie and barra.
    Have to ask about the photos. Did you enhace the colours in them, or is that what quality your camera produces? If so, what are you using?

Cheers
    Thanks, and yeah I do slightly enhance the colour.

The camera is just a Canon Powershot.

Takes good photo's depends on the setting and time of day.

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Good report mate.
    Just purchased a 2500, great reels they are
    i like to fish.

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing BM, some great shots and fish amongst that lot! Congrates on ya PB as well.

Cheers Dave

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice one Boofa...

Stacks of fun to be had in Australian estuaries hey!

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beevor View Post
    Nice one Boofa...

Stacks of fun to be had in Australian estuaries hey!
    Sure is, the estuary up here feels like it picked up it's game.

Been fishing good for a while now.

First real successful trip in a long time with just chucking HB's in the estuaries.