Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Three mornings on Moreton Bay...

Kyle & I decided to take advantage of the calm conditions this week with a pre-dawn jaunt to Peel on Monday morning. We were rewarded with calm conditions, no boat traffic and good shows of bait everywhere.

We picked up a few small snapper on blades and plastics before we headed to the eastern side for a deepwater drift. Kyle got smashed on the first drop by what we thought may have been a big cod or a small shark. Either way it didn't stop and eventually busted him off around some coral. Shortly after Kyle managed some small snapper and a nice maori cod. I got smashed on my blade and was busted off after a long fight. Clearly a big fish - too big for my gear, I'm thinking a big shark!

After that we did some breaming and Kyle outfished me landing a heap of small snapper and one bream. His best was a 38cm snap that went hard on bream gear!

Tuesday morning saw us at Green Island where we fished the reef edge pre-dawn and came up with a couple of nice snaps to 36cm. We then fished the flats on the high tide but could only manage undersize snaps. Suddenly my R2S baby crank is monstered and after a long tussle a nice 42cm snapper graces the net. Best fish of the morning. We then headed to the sand flats of Hope Banks where we managed a few sand flathead, a flounder and a plague of grinners!

Wednesday saw me head out in a blustery NE wind on my own. I hit the reef edge of Green on first light. Got smashed on the first drop with my blade and boated a 48cm snap!. Next drift was exactly the same except the snap went 43cm. Then a 38cm snap on the third drift and a 40cm fish on the fourth. I had 'bagged out' before 5.00am!

It went quiet after that so I stuck to breaming on the high tide where I managed 6 small snapper and a 26cm bream on light gear. Home by 10.00am...

A good few mornings on the bay. Saw some magic sunrises, got rained on once, saw turtles, dugong and mysterious bust ups (not pelagics) and only very few boats on the water. Expected it to be much more crowded in the week before Xmas. All fish released to catch another day...

Will post a couple of pics later...

Cheers

Pete & Kyle
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff Pete, I must have been within a km or two of you at Green on tuesday and wednesday. You did great on the snapper at Green, well done! We should have stayed there rather than gone to Mud. It was pretty ordinary out there early. We got pretty wet, but it came good.

Sounds like you hooked some steamtrains at Peel! Could have been big snapper? or Jewies?

Cheers,

Matt

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matt fraser View Post
    Sounds like you hooked some steamtrains at Peel! Could have been big snapper? or Jewies?
    Coulda been Matt but my leader was abraded for about 30cm so I thought it was the sandpaper skin of a shark as it powered away...

Not sure about Kyle's - big headshakes, then stopped then ran and ended up snagging Kyle on the reef...we were fishing a drop off in 10m of water in the deep channel on the eastern side
    Last edited by Peter4; 22-12-2011 at 01:18 PM.
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow what a week's fishing you pair have had, some very nice fish landed,good stuff.

Baz

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Couple of pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images

- Abraham Lincoln

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Pete and Kyle,

You certainly have had a great year on the bay!!! Awesome work lads!

Cheers Steve
    There's plenty of room for all God's creatures.......right next to the mash potatoes

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

very good boys - sounds like fun .......

Chris

Life is too short - live everyday as if it is your last ...

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

nice fish pete , havent had a feed of reefies for a bit..makin me hungry..
    Experience is something you dont get until
    just after you need it.

Sailfish
    Post Thanks / Like

Gee's Pete......Those snaps are the perfect size, a couple of those baked in the oven with a few trimmings.....Yum.
    Good Fishing.... Good Mates.... Good Food.... BARGAIN.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

nice squiries Pete, I'd be releasing those straight into my Evakool!
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast