Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Burrum is alive and well

Put in at Burrum Heads yesterday at dawn, and went upstream. I threw HBs at a snag that had silver boofs, but nobody wanted to play the game. I moved out of a creek to a rockbar and baited up some mullet fillet and got a nice cod at 46 cm. Then I got a nice mudcrab with big claws on the line. I usually don’t like to net em, cos they wreck the net, and you cant even see if theyre male or female before the net shot. But I had a go anyway, I usually drop 4 out of 5 crab attempts, but this one fell in, and he was male and well over size limit! Plenty of traffic with 7 boats in the area, so I moved further upstream.

Waited until lunchtime for the next hit, and he was red! Looked about 60cm in the water, and Im thinking about a new pb as I do the one handed net shot, but he was only 46-47 on the truth mat? OK, its been a while, I'll take what I can get. Very fat and very red, and made dinner for 4 of us tonight, yum. Another cod at 46cm, and Im thinking 46 is the number……..a few more undersize cod and a ray, all on strip baits. No catties, what gives?

That jack was landed at 1pm…..first daytime jack for me. Never caught a jack before 9am up til now. Also first jack for the 11-12 aseason for me. Havent seen one for a long while, I was getting worried.

Burrum was brown in color, but very salty. No catties says it all, river is on good nick.

Cheers

Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothin wrong with 46er's Andrew, nice fish mate & a Muddie to go with it good stuff.

Baz

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

lovely red fish Andrew, BTW....what kind of cod is that....?
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Black spot cod. All estuary cods are gold or black spot. they both taste just as good. very underated table fish IMHO.

Andrew

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work on both counts Andrew!