Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Amazing morning

Threaded View

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Amazing morning

Well, finished work at midnight. I walked outside and there was some cloud cover, very light spitting, quite humid, winds forecast were favourable for a spot I've been eyeing off near the mouth of the burrum since this time last year. So I forgot about going to bed and went fishing once the sun came up.

My intention was to catch a flathead for dinner with the mother in law coming over and maybe get onto a jack. I just used my light gear - 6-10lb rod, 2500 luvias, 10lb braid the entire day.

I did manage my flathead, did quite well on them in fact. Kept the smallest one, the bigger ones went back.

Someone didn't tell the barra it's closed season and ended up getting 4 boatside and 4 more lost through popped leader, rub through and spat hooks - sighted each of them... I figure that quite fortunate considering the gear I was using. They were just everywhere. I had to go all the way up into the gregory to get away from them.
    I think we can agree that it's not likely one would target barra on the gear I was using, so that said I did take a snap shot of the biggest one, which is my PB salty barra (first one for the day was my first ever). Very carefully netted, placed on the brag mat, hook removed from right near stomach entrance, photo taken and then fish swam under leccy power until she was making an effort to get away. No harm done.

The other barra were all close in size, around the 75-85cm marks.

Only click this link if you are not offended by a bloke taking the opportunity to photo his PB when the fish was all ready lying next to the brag mat.
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...012/IMG321.jpg

These are the flatties

And the little bream who thought his mouth was a bit bigger than it is

Last edited by Chamelion; 09-11-2012 at 05:08 PM.