Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Threaded View

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Jack Tactics - Time to change?

Hi guys, great to see so many jacks getting posted, its prime season right now. The rains stuffed up the last 2 seasons, and this year, its all happening in our favour.

With all the boat traffic from the holiday makers, my usual spots were not producing, so I snuck up a local creek at Toogoom last weekend, and found some sunken logs on a deep bend. Ive been experimenting with heavy line, and now light line. Got this 44/45cm jack on 15lb line, and went easy on him. Lucky for me he didnt fight too hard, and then he blooded up with some of the darkest red Ive seen. Caught him at 8pm about 45 mins into the runout tide. Ive been throwing the Zmans around for the sunset, but with no luck, so I reverted to my trusted mullet strips again. What can I say, Im into results, not difficulties.I dont mind mentioning the spot, cos there are very few dedicated enough to launch at a mud ramp, and navigate sandbars at night. In 4 yrs, Ive never seen another boat there at night. Ive gone as low as 6lb line and leader, but kept getting busted off. Amazing to see the 58cm jack in BnB mag caught on 3 lb line!!!!!

For those who are into tactics, I can only say to keep trying something different, and not keep doing what you have been doing. This season, Ive added a tyre tube to my anchor chain to cut out noise. I still rate stealth as the number one factor when fishing at night. Ive also changed my patterns on moving spots. I used to be content to spend 3-4 hrs at a proven spot. This year, Ive had to move spots every 30 mins, unless Im getting bites to encourage me to stay. Set yourself a pre defined time limit, like 40 mins, and it will make you move spots, and discover new ways of getting red bites. I took a mate out a few nights ago to help break his jack cherry. We started at 6.30pm, and must have moved spots 7-8 times. By 11pm, he was ready to go home disappointed, when he got smashed, and wrapped around a deep snag, only to lose the jack. We stayed in that spot for another hour, but it was the only bite for session, and we wouldnt have got it unless we moved around.

Theres a great article in AFNs Sport fishing AUstralia (no. 60 current issue) on catching jacks in open water on sandbars on light gear. Its written by Bob from Davos Compleat Angler in Noosa, so its very relevant for those fishing the next Jackoff. He uses 6lb main and leader in 1-2 ft of water and catches multiple jacks per session around the lakes in Noosa river. Hmm, has he been listening to fejjy, or vice versa?

Theres also a really great article online in TTs e mag, on catching jacks on Zmans by MIck Horn. Mick is Keiths mate from the jack video we all bought last year. He uses a rapid burn fast retrieve for hits around structure, and maybe Ive been doing it all too slow. Subscribe to the emag, its free, and checkout the back articles at http://www.tackletactics.com.au/emags.php

Any other new tactics from those who think outside the square? Is anybody having success on unweighted plastics?

cheers,
    Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images