Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Threaded View

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 6 specie afternoon

The Noosa River has been fishing pretty well of late, GT's, Tailor, Flatties and soapie Jew have been pretty regular catches.

I went out this arvo hoping to nail a feed of GT's. I got a couple, but the afternoon was a cracker with a wide variety of species caught.

I started off flicking for a Lizard. I netted two barely legal fish and dropped what I think was a good Flathead. It let go of the plastic. Oh well, as the tide was nearing the bottom, I hit up a favourite run out spot.
    There was mullet everywhere, they were thick, second cast with the popper I was on to a standard size GT of 40cm. fish 492 (Medium).jpg

Next cast got another a bit smaller then nothing for the next hour. Time to move.

I went around the corner to the outer Woods Bay over some rocky structure I found a few weeks back.
    I must have a thing with second casts as I come up tight to a nice fish. This thing had a bit of power, after a solid little fight I slid the net under a 52cm Cale Cale Trevally. Hook out and a couple of photos and he was swimming again.Cale Cale trevally 52cm (Medium).jpg

I threw out the 3" Atomic prong, bouncing it on the bottom, I had a small take and hooked up. Only a small fish but was happy to land a Pennantfish about 15cm long. They're a very pretty little fish, I got a couple of them a week ago also.
    fish 491 (Medium).jpg

Ten minutes went by when my 3" powerbait got nailed. I knew this fish was another trevally with it's tell tale head shakes, but it put in a couple of short sharp runs which was a bit different to the other fish caught. After a great little fight I was surprised to see a nice 44cm Longnose Trevally. Trevally specie number 3 for the arvo.
    fish 500 (Medium).jpg

This was turning out to be a good afternoon.
    I threw my lure back in the same spot and hooked up immediately.
    I naturally thought it would be another Longnose as it fought very similar with some solid runs and taking me on a cross country tour around the boat. I was stoked when I saw a 45 cm Diamond Trev in the net!
    fish 503 (Medium).jpg

I love Diamond Trevally, my favourite Trevally of all. Too valuable to keep, he was soon on his merry way. Trevally specie number 4!
    I was having a purple patch for sure.
    The 3" powerbait was hurled back in the water. This time on the drop it was smashed and a short run followed. Another cross country tour of the boat and yep, another Diamond! This one went 44cm! Happy boy was I.
    fish 506 (Medium).jpg

What a great afternoon.
    Very little boat traffic, light winds, great lookin water, 6 species caught, with 4 of them Trevally, a feed of GT, and plenty of satisfaction gained from catching and releasing the other fish caught. Love it!
    All fish caught on 4lb braid with 8lb fc leader, GT's caught on a Cultiva Gobo popper, the Pennantfish on a 3" Atomic Prong in Copper Fleck colour, The rest of the fish caught on my favourite sp, the 3" powerbait minnow in bloodworm.

Cheers, Jeff.