Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sunday Funday Arvo

Feeling ruff and ragged after a big night on the drink with minimal sleep and having to work the next day, Chris and I called in for an arvo session whilst our partners slept off the effects of the night prior.

I finished my day at the office, raced home to hook up the boat, throw all the gear in and went and picked up Chris. After a successful day on Friday pulling Bream from fallen tree structure in St Georges Basin on Friday, we were keen to see how one of the local creeks would produce.

We launched and putted over to the opposing bank and started flicking at any bit of timber we could see. With not a touch for a couple of hundred meters we decided to move on and see what else was around, as it had been some years since either of us had been here. On cruising on up stream we came to a corner which had a nice weed bank with what we can only guess (Yet to install a sounder) a deep drop off. There was plenty of activity on the surface on the shallow side of the weed and it wasn't long until we started to feel some ticks in the line. We set the Minn Kota on cruise control at a slow pace and flicked as close to the edge as we could and slow roll the Minnow lures back. I had a flashy white Ecogear SX40 and Chris with a Daiwa DC Shiner in a Gold with Orange Back. Chris was the first to get loaded up!

Which was then followed by an absolute brute of a Bream.

We did 2 runs along this bank but not much else happened. The next corner up looked similar to the last and the next fish in the boat repeated the style of location with another small Bream falling victim to the golden glow of the DC Shiner. I also managed to get the monkey off my back here with a similar sized Bream. We only gave this bank the one run before switching sides and fishing under over hangs for no result. We made the decision to move on and before we knew it we were in the upper reaches and into Bass territory of some of our previous expeditions. We saw a familiar face on the way up who had only just hit the water but said that there have been some good catches of late in our next planned location. Maybe it was the change in weather from the 35 degree celsius, 80% humidity the day before, to the cold and almost raining weather we were experiencing then and there. We couldn't muster a hit, let alone a follow. We pushed up further past some shallows where Chris fouled up a cast with some surface debris but low and behold had a fish hit it, but miss the hooks. I had my Spotters on so could easily see the Bass sitting under the lure waiting for it to be twitched, so under instruction Chris did exactly that and he was on!

At the limit of where I was comfortable of taking the boat on the lowest point of the tide, we made our way back to the original weeded corner where we caught the first Bream at.

It was at this point that I had succumb to the allure of the Gold/Orange Daiwa DC Shiner that Chris was having success on and tied one on my line. Using a Daiwa Black Label 1-2kg Rod, with 4lb Fireline Exceed Braid and 4lb Sunline Siglon FC leader, I was getting tapped on almost every retrieve. You could feel they were only small fish that couldn't find hooks, but eventually one was unlucky enough.

The size of fish repeated itself over and over and every retrieve resulted in countless ticks and hits. Usually I would give it a slow roll after the cast, get a hit, pause the lure, give it a couple of twitches and continue the retrieve which would result in another small fish. We had managed to find the nursery...

Things started to look up though as I was now catching more fish than Chris (always my mission whenever we go out) and finally boated a larger model aswell as a Luderick.

As can be seen in the photos, the weather was really starting to close in on us now, with light patchy drizzle and plenty of thunder. We made our way to the end of the bank where it started to turn into a drop off at the edge of some Mangroves. About 3 cast into this section and my drag started to sing. Excellent! After the best fight of the day I had it boat side, and after a couple more runs it was ready for the net.

We turned around and repeated the run, but noticed a drop in the number of hits and the tide quickly coming back up over the flat. We were about to call it quits when I managed to fit one more fish in for the day, a 40cm Flatty just to finish off the species list.

The heavens opened up and it really started to pour down with flashes of lightning and the sound of thunder not far behind it, we blasted off into the razor sharp shards of ice, also known as rain drops for anyone else who is travelling at walking pace, with no wet weather gear, and arrived back at the ramp soaked to the core, shivering and in desperate need of a warm meal and a hot shower.

With a great mixed bag of fish (Bream, Bass, Flathead and Luderick), what started off to be a very difficult hung over day turned out pretty good and no doubt we will be back there very soon to try and work out this little creek a bit better!

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

ha dirty is the rod in the pics one of the daiwa generation black rods how what are they like

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Opps yeah it is, I wrote Black Label.

Mate it's a great rod hey. Especially for the price. I find myself picking it up over my Lox Yoshi time and time again as it's a fun rod with only 4lb braid and light tip. Great for throwing light plastics and hardbodies.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish mate, looks like a special spot
    Fishing Fishing Fishing. I like Fishing

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Cracking breambo's mate

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

nice work fellas, great read