Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Fishing the Pin

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing the Pin

Took a mid-week trip down to Cabbage Treet Point with my son to fish inside the Pin Bar. Being the first trip to this area and looking on Google, I thought I might wait for a bit of light to see where I was going. Launched at 5.30am and made our way to the Bar steadily. There was only one other trailer at the ramp when we got there and when we got to the bar, we had it to ourselves.

Target species was flatties and after getting set up and using the electric to slow our drift to a crawl, outgoing tide and fairly ripping out, fired the first cast out. Bang, onto a fish. Got him boat side and he spat the hook. Flatty about 35cm. Over the next 20 min I managed to land 4 flatties and lose another two boat side, including 3 in 3 casts. The son managed 2 in the boat and 2 lost at the boat. Was thinking to myself, "This is going to be a great day". How wrong I was. For the next four hours, and 20,000 casts, not a touch. We tried several spots on the way back to the boat ramp and not a touch, it was like someone flicked a switch. Never saw any bait movement the whole morning.

Used 4"squidgie wrigglers in the Bloodworm with 3/8 oz 2/0 jig heads. Kept one fish for a feed about 55cm. All others were released and probably only ranged from about 35cm to 40cm. Nothing big but good fun. Throughly enjoyed the area and I shall return. On the down side, the area we fished at the Pin was very snaggy. Went through three packets of plastics and jigheads.
    Cheers
    Gazza

IF MEN ARE FROM MARS AND WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS, THEN POLITICIANS MUST BE FROM URANUS

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff TB, it is a good little system down there at the pin. Flattys are making there way back into the estuarys after all this rain by the reports we are seeing.

Can I make a suggestion? Fish a tad lighter. Say 1/8th oz. Less snags and more fish. Also I find a smaller placcy once the sun gets up and the bite slows down can sometime help too. (3 inch curl tail grub as an example or a 3 inch minnow in smelt) No expert here but just my observations mate.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm hearing you Luke, but the current was that strong, anything less wouldn't get to the bottom. At 3/8oz, had to cast way above the area so it was on the bottom by the time it got to the target area. I normally use the 80mm Wrigglers but couldn't get any so had to go the 100mm. Cheers for the tips though, always willing to learn.
    Cheers
    Gazza

IF MEN ARE FROM MARS AND WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS, THEN POLITICIANS MUST BE FROM URANUS

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah no probes, is hard in strong current. do you throw up current and work the SP back with the current?

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Normally do. Try and work it so the placky is coming into the boat square on for the last couple of lifts and winds. If drifting fairly quickly, will send one out and let it drift with the boat while in the rod holder. Have caught some good flatty this way, while working another rod.
    Cheers
    Gazza

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Atleast ya got out there and got a few and a feed, good work
    Ben..

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Gazza.Jumpinpin's not the easiest place to fish,so you've done well for your 1st time there.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

What are your thoughts about weedless Gaz?

Mate, I hate losing gear and worm hooks have been wholly responsible for keeping me interested in plastics long enough to appreciate the form.
    I've had the Chinese send them to me for around AU$0.33 (landed), and the Yanks for a touch more.

Lead is cheap enough.. cheaper again with the amount that I've scavenged from abandoned cast-nets..

But yeah.. not trying to change your game, but it's something that has worked for me.
    Usual disclaimers... still very new to artificials ...
    Alex.
    * Unless specified, all fish pictured were released unharmed.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Would go weedless next time Alex, but being the first time there, I was caught unawares. Did have some weedless rigs but just not heavy enough for the area 1/16. Being just a placky only trip, I didn't have any ball sinkers in the boat to load them up. DOH. Next time I will be prepared, I hope.
    Cheers
    Gazza