Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing at Boonooroo

Hi all,

I am heading up to Boonooroo with my brother and a couple of his mates.

Anyone got any info or tips and where to go for a fish there?

Are there any yabby banks reachable on foot?

We may have a tinny available to us, but it isn't confirmed yet, so most of the fishing is likely to be land based.

Thanks in advance...

Ben.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is one thread about Boonooroo Ben. I havent been there myself so I dont know much about the area sorry.
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum...ight=Boonooroo
    Finally got one

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Should be yabbies on the banks out the front at low tide if not drive to maaroom plenty of yabbies there near the mangroves at low tide

Grand Slam
    Post Thanks / Like

Be mindful the tide goes out to the horizon there.
    To the shed!

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! You guys weren't kidding about the low tides and narrow channel. Didn't run aground, but you had to be on the lookout.

Unbelievable weekend with the straights glassed out both days.

I pumped for yabbies at Tuan and found the banks to be quite unproductive. Took nearly 90mins to put together some numbers. I would say the average was one yabby for every 5-6 holes pumped. The pumping was hard going as the mixture of sand and mud is very dense and I have a very big pump. I think it would be easier with a smaller pump.

Went flicking plastics for the fist time, which netted me a couple of keepers and some throwbacks - the best was 44cm. I am now addicted to this style of fishing and love my new Stadic CI4 to death. On a nice and light 2-kg rod, it was great action. I am still a few weeks of getting my Gary Howard Envy 1-3kg of lay-by.

Whiting were very patchy and when we did find good numbers, they were mostly too small to bother keeping - basically, anything less that 22-23cm went back. Yabbies were the go, but squid was better in some spots. Found a few spots that were thick with those bastard great green toadfish. Haven't seen one of those since I was a kid down Moreton Bay. A couple of them bit clean through the hook. Most of them were pushing 2KG. Also caught heaps of flatties around the 15cm mark where we were picking up the whiting.

Thanks again for the tips guys.

Ben.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ben glad you got a feed if I had known you had a boat the yabbies are better on the banks around the islands

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

It was a perfect weekend for sure. Pleased you managed a feed and didn't have any "sandbank" issues lol.

Paulo
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).