Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Variety is the spice of life

Over the last six days I have been lucky enough to get a fair bit of fishing in. I spent 4 days in Agnes Water fishing with mates. We had intended to get stuck into some barra and a late season jack or two. Alas after Ita shot her load of over 80mm of rain just a couple of days before I got to town, the estuary systems were shut down. In two full days I scored a big catty on a placcy and a whiting on a largish walk the dog lure and a coulple of flattys. This was a real shame because the weather was awesome. We discussed the plan of attack for the next couple of days and decided to shoot down to Bustard head and see what we could conjure up. The plan was to throw some hardware at the inner rocks until the sun was up a bit, then troll out wider to chase some Spaniards, then head in to try some plastics along the rocky shore line.

I had been holding on to some “Jigwobbler” lures that I had picked up in the US that had been sitting in my tackle box and made my mind up to either pick up a fish on it or keep trying until I sacrificed it to the rocks (see attached pic). One of my mates was using big plastics and the other mate was trying big poppers for a GT. We were in position just after the sun rose over the horizon and it wasn’t long until the jigwobbler scored me a nice queeny (Didn’t measure it but we called it for over a meter). It was a lot of fun on 20lb braid and 20lb leader in around the rocks. Had some hairy moments that’s for sure.

That was all the action we had for the next hour so we headed off for a troll. As we approached the outer rocks my mate hooked a small spano, back in that goes. Bait schools started showing everywhere for the next 2 hours but we only pinned one more Spanish close to the rocks that was lost at the boat. A shame because it was a good fish well over a meter.

We also had a brief hook up to a freight train that snapped my mates 50lb braid. Called it for another spanish that cut the line with its tail. We headed back in a tried around the inner rocks again but all we could muster was a small striped fish (?) so we decided to head for the wrecked trawler about 5 mile off 1770. We scooted over in great conditions and started ripping the lips of tealeaf trevally. We got about 4 or 5 each in 30 mins then they shut down as the tide changed. The next days I returned there again on sunrise with one of my mates and we bagged another 14 (7 each). These things pull hard for their size and were a load of fun. Once again as the tide turned they dropped off the bite so we trolled back in and I scored my first yellow fin tuna that was also lost at the boat as my mate went for the tail grab as we didn’t want to gaff as it was to be released so no picky. That afternoon I headed home.

I then fished my backyard easter Sunday and Monday. Had to work hard for a few fish but I did score a feed both days. Took my GF’s young bloke out (Mighty tugger) and he scored his first fish in a yak. I used poppers on both mornings as the sun started to rise and both days saw quality flattys succumbing to the bubble pop charms.

All in all a great 6 days of fishing with glorious weather

18AWSR.jpg
    18BOP.jpg
    18TLT.JPG
    18QAM.jpg
    18Q.jpg
    18LRF.jpg
    18JWL.jpg
    18FHOP.jpg
    18FHFD.jpg
    18DYSR.jpg
    18DWFH.jpg
    18BTL.jpg

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

As usual Luke, another top notch reports of fish coming up to you to say g'day........you are one hell of a good sweet talker to the fishes mate.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Living the dream mate. It's a place I really need to get back to. You are right about those tea leaf. They pull like a train. !!! Good work.
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good read Luke, you sure have had a good old time with the fish mate, that Queenie would have been great fun..

Baz

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Love ya work Funch,a quality trip that,great read and pics.

Paulo
    "Its Five o'Clock Somewhere"...........(Jimmy Buffet).

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a bad effort mate, well done. That's an interesting looking lure, bit different from the usual stuff
    Fishing Fishing Fishing. I like Fishing

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff making the best of a rough situation Funchy.. The flatties aren't even safe up there!
    Ben..