Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Long day, long paddle.... good feed though ;-)

I decided on an ambitious paddle last night after a few beers. I had my eye on a spot I had fished with a mate in his tinny. I would have to paddle from Caloundra to Roys Road. I hit that water about 5:30am and watched a glorious sunrise. Not sure how far it was but it took me 3 hours to get down there. I didn’t rush, spent plenty of time flicking plastics however only scored a couple of undersize flattys until I got to the spot.

The tide was just about topped out and I was anchored up in about 2 meters of water and throwing my SP up onto a bank. About 20 mins in I felt what I thought was a flatty hit and then this thing took a run right across the front of the yak looking for deep water. Line was peeling of my Pflueger 2500 reel and the 6lb Nanofil was zinging off the reel. After a few good runs it sat deep under the yak just tail thumping until it finally succumbed and drifter up to the yak. At first I thought I had a small jewwy but it turned out to be a solid grunter. Very happy with that as they are great eating. My fish stocks were low so into the keeper net he went.

That was pretty much the only decent action I had down there. The odd small flatty was caught and released and I had had enough. Thought I will head back up towards home and fish my favourite spot on the low (new moon and all means they should be on the bite)

I stopped and had a few flicks and trolled a bit and was back up the Caloundra end right on 1pm. I hit my spot, anchored up and waited for the bite to heat up. It wasn’t long until I had a few smallish flattys on board that I released but I thought that is a great sign as past experience has taught me that the small ones come on the bite before the bigger ones. I hooked up to something that seemed to have good weight and after a small tussle in came a 33cm bream. Poor think was deep hooked and bleeding badly so I took him home. (I don’t usually keep bream)

Sure enough the tide really got low and the bigger ones came on the bite. Over the next hour and a bit I would have caught 15 flattys. All between 60cm and mid fortys. I kept a few for a feed and headed off once the tide turned and they settled down.

As I paddled home I bumped into a couple of fellas on yaks who seemed impressed with my catch. I think I may have converted them tp light gear and plastics

Sorry there aren’t more pics, I dropped my camera over board in 4 meters of water……. I don’t wanna talk about it

IMG_1899.jpg

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Bummer about the camera but nice fish

Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

good catch Funchy..cameras are easy to come by.

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

bad luck there mate, but good going on the fish ! thats a nice grunter, i wish we got them around here
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Bad luck with the camera but you had a good result with the fish, well done.

Cheers,
    John.
    Some cause happiness wherever they go.

Others whenever they go.

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like an enjoyable day on the water mate....apart from the last bit...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Great feed mate , well done

Baz

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice day out mate great stuff. One word for you "Lanyard".
    Finally got one

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Good effort. At various times I have thrown a lot of plastics between Caloundra and Roys - and a bit further. I have always found it ordinary down that way. After you posted your plan the other day I have been waiting to see how you went. Sorta backs up my opinion a bit. Its ok for tings on bait though.

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

You know what'd be great? One of those floating camera straps...should grab yourself one
    Well done on the big paddle though!