Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cooktown, FNQ in early August.

There are folk up here that won’t bother fishing certain systems around this time of year. The older blokes mainly. They’ll talk about the Barra getting ‘lock-jaw’ or usually smile in a permissive kind of way when they ask you how you went. Typically, I’ll take it all in my stride. I learn something new every time I put the boat in. I stay in the game all year long… and fish gotta eat, so I reckon I’m always in with a chance. But with all that said, it’s no good for any hunter’s mental health to keep missing targets- Cooktown taught me that!

I can’t say enough good things about the place. Some of the best fishing stories I’ve heard are set against the Cooktown Wharf. Not this weekend though. Wind was up, tides were ripping in and out.. never mind this alleged ‘super moon’. I’m still trying to work that one out.

One Barra charter reported “a few small ones” and the wharf looked liked Kowloon Bay for all the lines to fish ratio. Over a long weekend I managed a few Pikeys some small Grunter and the live Herring and Hardy Head I netted, floated, sank, free-swam… then finally released. Placs were thrown at timber recklessly and worked at all levels in the column. Minnows and bibless HBs. Vibes, blades… even a Rook. I Trolled a Barra Spoon, the Viper and a few other HBs that have fired in the past- no joy.

I’ll be back when they come on again though. The Endeavour is a great system with holding points and features all up and down. The Annan is still on the list to explore and the “The Lure Shop” is as great a resource as everyone reckons.

I had to beat up a few little freshies on the way home just to feel good about myself again. Bring on the bite man!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alex.
    * Unless specified, all fish pictured were released unharmed.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

This old bloke told ya.
    Next month is the go.
    Did you fish the wreck in the mouth? F/mark on there.
    All these things that I didn't tell you before you went.
    That wind graph is probably at the inland airport too.
    We should sit down over a coffee and google before you go again.
    Nice photos and yes, I've always come home emptyhanded too.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

'Ya told me this'.. 'ya didn't tell me that...'
    I hadn't heard about that wreck, but worth a look when the tides and winds are a tad less... violent!

Not sure what the Marton Ramp looked like when you were last up there but it's pretty sweet now.
    Might take you up on that coffee though... I'm pretty keen to get back up there.

In the meantime, *sigh* I need a bow-mount leccy don't I!
    Alex.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

'ya didn't tell me that...'

Ya don't ask, ya don't get told.

Should make up a map for you.
    I'll see if I can see the wreck on Google

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

As articulate as always Alex, you spin a good yarn! Keep at it mate, makes it all that more worthwhile when you work it out

And yes, you need a bow mount leccy..... And don't get anything other than the iPilot IMO

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice report! Hope ya smash them next time.
    Ben..

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ben, he will when I have a seniors moment and give him the marks.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Well.... I caught up with Micko and Kenny for a couple of sessions around Daintree Village. That was all it took to demonstrate what I long suspected and you blokes already know- leccys are awesome!

I left them up there on Sunday arvy, sourced this one by Monday and purchased it today.
    $150 for all you see. Humble- but should be enough to settle me on what I want and need in a brand newy.

Happy days!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alex.