Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Went to that place... the place called... POONA, Qld

I photographed a wedding a few years ago for some friends... (used to be a photographer..now i just look at people with cameras and get jealous).. Anywhooo.. they told me they were going camping at Poona for a couple of weeks, they had just bought a canoe and wanted to take it out on its maiden voyage.. as Poona is only a trip down the road from Gympie, I was keen, I'd never been there before but had heard of it as my old man had fished there a few times..

Up at 3am in Gympie, horses sorted, roo's sorted, dogs sorted.. I jumped in the red rust truck and headed east towards tincan bay.. before heading north along Cooloola-Maryborough Road.. road was extremely foggy for my trip so i took it easy... i'm all about saving injured wildlife.. not making injured wildlife.. .. got to Poona around 5.. I stopped a few times along the way checking roadkill and admiring the scenery... got to Poona around 5ish.. its normally a bit over an hour from Gympie.. but meh.. . went and checked out the Poona foreshore then headed back to the caravan park to meet up with friends.. as the tide was still out.. we had a bit of a chinwag and a couple of coffees.. before heading out.. paddled up Poona creek to the channel and proceeded to nail a few flathead.. landed about 5 and dropped another 6 smaller ones next to the kayak... some absolutely beautiful water there and absolute jack territory... i would recommend it as a place for a forum meet n greet kind of thing.. a weekend camping adventure lol... few jellyfish also lurking about.. lots of them had bite marks in them.. great to see the little turtles that have recently hatched are getting into their tucker..

Finished fishing around 1pm.. went back to my mates campsite for eggs n bacon sangas.. before hitting the road home.. ripper spot to stop for a fish.. i'll be back there!

Tim

Stopped along the way.. Cooloola-Maryborough Road
    20150308_054216.jpg

Brumbies on Poona Road
    20150308_055751[1].jpg

Live jellyfish... with finger holes for picking up... lol.. was released unharmed.. had a little fish living with it...
    20140109_054719.jpg

One of many little flathead... they strike bloody hard!
    20140109_055215.jpg

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

looks the goods Tim, that horse shots a beauty.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Watch the crocs

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

No crocs... best i got was a goanna fighting a dead mullet on the bank near a campsite...

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Pics look good Tim.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

looks a nice spot tim
    the world is a lot better place if you just smile

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Tim and good pics. Fished Poona a few times and once in Buffa creek. Nice part of the world.
    Now, I'm not saying we should invoke capital punishment for Stupidity, but how about we just take all the warning labels off everything and let nature sort itself out?

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Some might say you're still a little bit of a photographer...