Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Hervey Bay Sunday

Hi all,

Went for a fish on Sunday to a little creek on the western side of Fraser Island. A Big run in tide from .3m low to 4m high had the water stirred up and the colour of coffee. Fishing was slow and hard work in the 20 knot SE, and even harder without the electric, which was left at home. I noticed it missing from the bow of my mates boat, when he picked me up, but thought he must have it in the boot, nah, not in the boot, home in the shed.

We fished plastics and some live herring, which were unusually hard to find in the creek, maybe due to the big run?? My mate ended up with a nice little Jack on a herring and I got a Flathead on a plastic. All in all it was a good day on the water and we checked a bit of new country. Hopefully some more Jack next time.

Cheers Mick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Sim, two nice fish there for you and your bud. I love the look of Jack's.
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Theory

Sim

I have this threory that fishing is always quieter during the day when there is a full moon. I put it down to the fact that the fish feed more of a night time as there is more light for them to see what they are doing.
    As a result, fishing at night is good during the full moon period.
    Just a theory but seems to stand up for me.
    Also, a lot of insects (like the christmas and cane beetles) hatch during the full moon. Last night for example they were everywhere. The bass fishing is often exceptional at this time.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice fish

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Onya Mick

Would love to get onto some 'Jacks one day myself!

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mullet View Post
    Sim

I have this threory that fishing is always quieter during the day when there is a full moon. I put it down to the fact that the fish feed more of a night time as there is more light for them to see what they are doing.
    As a result, fishing at night is good during the full moon period.
    Also, a lot of insects (like the christmas and cane beetles) hatch during the full moon. Last night for example they were everywhere. The bass fishing is often exceptional at this time.

I can relate to that theory, that exact thought crossed my mind some time ago and I have noticed the full moon daytime tides definately seem to be less productive from my experience.

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Gday fellas

In cod fishing the same thing goes - When its a full moon not much will happen you mite get the odd one throwing lures, but when surface fishing at night time you will have no chance at all of hooking up a cod.

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple of nice fish anyway Mick. I'd be happy with them, especially the flattie.That would be a pretty good one over here.
    Danny.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mullet View Post
    Sim

, fishing at night is good during the full moon period.
    Works for me alot over here too, mainly off the beach and rocks. A lot of others differ and say the new moon period is better, but the results of mine over the years show I've done better on the full moon at night.
    Cheers Danny
    Rock N Reel King

Check out my photos Dan's Fishing Life

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice read and even better photos.
    Cheers