Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Old Brighton Bridge - Near Redcliffe

Recently I had the opportunity to do more fishing on the Australia Day weekend (YES!!!!!!) Although I was seriously burnt on the day in question - I thoroughly enjoyed the day fishing

Every now and then I get to meet up with an old mate from school - Ben, and we go fishing. This is my second time off the old Brighton Bridge. For those who are not farmiliar with it - it is a long bridge that spans the Redcliffe Pennisula (hope I got that right!!!!) and connects Redcliffe to Brisbane. The old bridge was built in the 1930's and has not been in use for a couple of years now. The new bridge lies parallel to the old one. Rather than knock it down or blow it up - the bridge was left as it is and although it is slowly falling apart - it is a spectacular location for anglers!!!

Ben takes me to this great spot at the middle of the bridge, right next to the deep channel. We went fishing at the edge and didn't throw our lines into the channel itself.

The catch of the day appeared to be stingray!!! I caught at least two of them and Ben caught a stack. We also put the crab pots down with mullet bait - but no luck there. However....I did land a nice blue swimmer crab on my line - reeling him in!! He hung onto my squid bait for dear life so I thought 'well ok - you're mine then!!' and flung him up onto the bridge. Unfortunately the Blue Swimmer was undersize - so I had to chuck him back!!!

Other than the stingray - I almost reeled in a lovely sized sole - but it got away as I was bringing it up over the rail - spitting the hook out it seemed Ben caught another, smaller sole, and I love how soft they feel! Other than catching a tiny bream - there was nothing else on offer that day - but that is ok - as I said - meditation time rocks!!!!

I now enclose a number of photos demonstrating the catch of the day. I got quite an education too about stingrays - having never caught one before. In one of the photos, it looks like I have the ray right beside me - but I assure you that I don't!

If anyone is interested in seeing all of my fishing photos - I am constantly adding more to my facebook page. Message me and I can add you if you want to see them all

Take care - Nic
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Nicolel,

Good to hear you got to wet a line. Them little stingrays are cute, too bad they beat the other fish to yours and Bens baits. How big is the barb on them?
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...