Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gold and Tweed Coast Breamin!

Hey guys,

Spent the last few days again fishing for bream, I have been putting in a lot of time of late. Mainly due to being on holidays and trying to make the most of them before my hectic University timetable kicks in and also because I’m desperate to crack a fish over my PB which is 34cm!

I took the train early Sunday morning to arrive at the Gold Coast meeting up with my mate Daniel. It was pouring down rain and had been all night. Things were not looking to well. We decided to go try a few different spots as we knew our spots from last week held fish and thought it would be a bit of a waste fishing them in such crappy conditions. First spot we arrived looked good. It had all rocky banks dropping off slowly into deeper water with a few drains pumping out water. I started off with a Bassday Sugar deep and Daniel had on a Smith Camion.
    We walked the banks, casting along the wall trying to tempt any bream that were up in the shallow water. I was a bit undecided of whether this would work as it was raining fairly constantly but it wasn't long before I hooked something small, saw the flash but then lost it. At least there was fish around!
    I changed lures to my favourite Chubby and started landing a few more fish, although they would have been lucky to go legal (23cm) they were still good fun and fought surprisingly well for their size.
    We continued doing the same thing managing several more fish but again, were all small. It did not look like I was going to find that big fish here. After a bit of a hike we got back in the car and drove off to our next spot.

Upon arrival the rain had slowed and the water was glassed out, it looked perfect. This spot had all sandy banks, no real structure which was similar to one of our spots from the previous weekend. Within a few casts I had a decent hit from a fish that felt a lot bigger than anything else from the morning, but unfortunately no hook up! I moved up 10m and fired out a long cast with the Jackal Chubby and got nailed a few cranks in. The fish didnt go too hard to begin with but had a bit of weight so I called it for a 30cm fish, once it got near and Daniel got sight of it. "That's got to be a new PB"
    Now the nerves set in and the fish had seen us and started taking a few runs. Daniel went in to land the fish as we couldn’t just slide it up the bank. I got the fish next to Daniel before it took one last run and while doing so caught the line around its fins and GONE. There went my fish, as well as my Chubby! It took a while for me to realize how close I actually was to landing the fish! Ah well, better luck next time I thought. No need to cry over spilled milk.
    We kept fishing and a few minutes later Daniel hooked up to a fish of similar size! We managed to land this bugger and he went 34.5cm to the fork! Not a bad fish at all.
    The camera managed to get wet and shat itself so had to take pics with my phone.

We carried on fishing the spot and didn’t manage anything else great. A few bream 25cm to the fork and that was it for the day. It was not over for me yet, I still had 2 more days of fishing at the tweed river with a mate!

Now to part 2 of the story, staying at the Tweed with another mate Nathan.
    Nathan owns a 390 Hornet Trophy so we were able to get out in the boat on both days. As soon as I got to Nathan's place we rigged up and went to fish a little spot of his land based that he has been getting a lot of fish from. Within 3 minutes of fishing I managed a small flathead and then it went wrong! Somehow in the process of removing my Jackall Chubby from its mouth, it managed to get a hook stuck right in my finger. After a bit of playing around with it, it was obvious that the hook was stuck in and we would have to go to the medical center to get it out! So that ended that session. A quick visit to the doctor and we were all ready for the next morning's session.

We planned to fish early on Monday morning and because of all the rain thats been falling, we thought we would give the mouth a go to try and get some of the cleaner water from the run in tide. So first up in the morning we headed straight for the mouth in front of Jack Evans boat harbor and started casting the new Ecogear VXs around deep water. We both quickly managed a few small fish before conditions got too bumpy to fish that area in the little boat. With the water being so dirty every where in the river, we thought the canals mite be worth a go. Hoping that not too much of the dirty water had got into them. We arrived at the First set of canals and the water was still fairly dirty. Oh well we thought, its going be tough but its good practice. We ended up getting a heap of fish in the Canals on Shallow Diving Chubbys and managed a kicker fish for the day at 30cm on an Ecogear VX. Finishing the day with over 35fish between us, we had done fairly well for the conditions we faced.

After taking the boat back home and having something to eat, we went back to the spot where I got the treble in me and started fishing. I rigged up with an Atomic prong to fish on surface. Straight away I had fish following the lure on the surface and a few big strikes before one good fish grabbed it and hooked up. After a few decent runs I landed the fish going 32cm to the fork! Not a bad fish on surface, that's the biggest bream I've got on surface.

Nathan tied on an sx40 and continued fishing the snaggy structure and was fishing a fair way ahead of me. All of a sudden I heard him shouting and his rod was buckled over. He called it for a Tarpon or Giant Herring by the long runs it took. But as soon as I caught up to him we saw a flash of red! JACK! HUGE JACK! The fish looked 50+cm just as he got it near the bank... the hooks pulled! SPEWIN!
    Nathan surprisingly handled the loss ok and continued fishing. 5minutes later he hooked up again! Another Jack the same size. After a few tense moments he managed to land the fish. (With the help of his backpack) I got a short video of Nathan fighting the fish and trying to land it himself, which ended up looking quite funny. That was it for that day; we ended it on a high and went home. Watch the video here- http://youtube.com/watch?v=kgDifLGtwmg

Tuesday morning we took the boat out again and the water was a lot clearer. We headed straight to a rock wall and fish Ecogear VXs and got stuck into the fish. It was almost a fish a cast but again, nothing huge. We did loose a few that felt quite good. After a while they went off the bite and we went into the Canals that we did so well in the day before. The fish were still there and this time a lot bigger. Straight away we landed a few fish around 28-29cm on the VXs. I switched over to a River2Sea Baby vibe and as we were fishing the outside corner of one of the Canal Arms I cast the lure right up against the bank. A few twitches and bang. Here was a good fish. It went straight for a nearby pontoon but luckily I managed to turn its head and get it close to the boat. The fish slugged it out deep for a while and I slowly got him up to the boat and this fish definitely looked like a new PB. Before I knew it, it was in the net and I was racing for the ruler to measure the bugger.
    "Straighten him up"
    "34.5, no 35cm!"
    WOHOOO Finally I got that fish I had been waiting for. A Bream 35cm to the fork!

We put him in the well and carried on fishing, Nathan soon got a 33.5cm fish on an Sx-40 and I followed up my 35cm fish with a 33cm fish caught on a Chubby in front off a drain.
    We estimated our bag would have gone almost 3kg which in my opinion is awesome for this area in this time of the year. We were stoked.

We got back to the ramp and got some more pics of our fish and then set them free. We had an awesome day, catching almost 50 fish between us. Given the conditions we managed to do quite well and had a good time in doing so.
    That was it from my few days of fishing; I achieved my goal of a long time albeit being 1cm bigger and managed a heap of bream from the 3 days of fishing.

Hope you guys enjoyed reading it.

Cheers

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey i enjoyed ya report Nabs , congrats on the new pb

cheers Adrian

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done on the new PB Nabs. Gonna have to break out the poppers and shallow divers and have a crack at breaking mine (34 cm) sometime soon.
    Ultralight RULES!!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Hey Nabs,

Being a mad keen breamer i love your reports so far. Your three day stint sounded like some great sessions minus the personal hooking. Keep up the skribe and photos.

Pete
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep thoroughly enjoyed the read and pics. Some real nice Bream there Well done.
    Danny
    Rock N Reel King

Check out my photos Dan's Fishing Life

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent report. Congrats on the PB and to 40 cm now mate.

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Nabs - Great report and even better photo's mate, they are sure top looking fish and so health too. Also well done on your PB, i can't believe you can catch so many fish and quality fish to next to the city like that.

Top stuff .

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

love the video nabs

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Good stuff

Well done fellas thats mighty fine fishing and it was in my own backyard , how come I don't ctach bream like that , I certainly won't let my kids read this.

Good story as well.

Rob
    Land Behind , Fish Below , Stories Ahead.....

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done guys,

Some great fish for your region, and plenty of them to boot! Good to see you spicing it up in the lure department.

Well done on the PB...

Oh, and Nabs - Don't forget to smile when you break your PB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast