Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Braving the Elements

Anglers...

I've had my old man (Dave) down from NSW for 10 days, and a few weeks back I lined up a couple of days off to go fishing during the week. Those 2 days just happened to be Thursday/Friday - Blowing a gale and bucketing down, oh well that's fishing

We had hopes of hitting up Georges Bay for a tussle with some Salmon on Thurs, but called Jamie from St Helens Bait and Tackle for a weather report, and it was not looking flash so we decided to flag it. Ended up leaving early Friday with a small breeze blowing in Launnie......

Arrived at the upper Scamander River and headed upstream. Turned the first corner and the water was BROWN, very brown in fact. We persisted for about an hour for zilch, apart from a few follows from small Salmon. Decided to head to more cleaner, saltier water and pressed on towards the town of Scammy. The water was a rich green and had fish written all over it, in saying that - It took a while for us to find the first fish.

A Mullet to Dave...

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Ever since I was far too young to even touch a beer, Dad's always had the saying: "A beer on the first fish" but this time it required suitable debate from me, as Mullet were not the target species [-X

I don't have a leccie for my boat yet, but the slight wind was of great benefit at times and saw us utilising some nice drifts to cover good water. We were both getting lots of taps, but they felt like pesky Cock-eye and then Dad lands one to confirm our suspicions. Soon after I managed to convert some persistent taps into a hook-up, after some great little runs I'm thinking "Yeah cool, it's a nice Salmon" but lifted him toward the boat and he started getting on his side..... It's a Bream!!

Breambos....

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

We nutted out a bit of action the was drawing attention from Bream, so we kept at it..... Then I scored a nice little Tailor Next up was Dave with a little Bream that gave him some curry, his first Tassie Bream on Plastics, STOKED!

Dave's Bream...

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

After a few high fives and some general hooting, we released him and kept up the trend, landing a few fish more including Salmon and Bream, and I was shocked to snare a Wrasse from the Scammy

Wormin'

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

I gave the sinking Hardbodies a good run, but drew no response this time. We kept flicking around and a nice fish picked up my plastic. I set the hook and began a nice battle, there was no doubting that this was a bream, and a nice one at that. As soon as I got a glimpse we were like, SH#T get the net, dad managed to get the net almost under him, then the hook pulled and he swam away c11 Not that it hurts me that much, it's probably the only 40+ fish that I've pulled from the Scammy

Little fella....

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

The wind gusted about for a bit, but generally it was quite pleasant and sheltered where we were fishing and I'm glad we committed to actually getting away, especially considering I only catch up with Dad a couple of times a year at most. Beats sitting at home playing Sega Bass Fishing on the Nintento Wii.....

Cheers,
    Beevor

Mull-ay on the Scam-ay....

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

sounds like a good trip mate
    well done

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Ethan...

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Beevor- Once again mate great report and photo's i away's like reading your report's, you sure are a versatile fishmen.

Top work!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Beev's, Glad you and yah pa got into some fishy action. The winter fishing is tough, I have had some dull sessions of late.
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...