Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A Friday arvo off work....

Hi AA's

Decided to take Thursday and Friday Arvo's off, and let the apprentice do the clean up of the workshop..., the weather has been so nice I could not help myself.

Anyway I have been fishing the Pioneer River regular of late, trying to fish different tides and times as well as moon phases. These 2 afternoons are fishing the top of the tide down to the bottom just after dark and post New moon by a day or so.

Thursday afternoon I went by myself. Directly across from the River boat ramp. Started out casting lures for a few Flathead over the banks where I had previously seen a group of Flathead lye's. Using Banjo 006 Minnow's proved productive, the Flathead liked them but I struggled to set hooks properly. So I changed to hard bodies and never got another hit after that.

Once the tide started to go out I pumped some yabbies and started wading the banks and fishing the deeper less current affected holes. This proved very productive as I landed 3 nice bream, 4 whiting and a nice Flathead.

My kids very happy to see some fish, and Dominic extra happy to be able to play with Dads fishing gear.

Friday afternoon proved to be the same style of weather PERFECT. Peter Smith was keen to try flyes on the top of the tide for Flathead. This proved to be very productive as he had a couple of hits with in minutes of starting to cast the fly about.

Peter hooked up solidly on a nice Flathead.

We moved over a rock wall hoping for some more flathead fishing the current lines created by the tide running over the rock wall but with no sucksess.

Peter had to leave early. So I decided to pump yabbies and fish the banks on the outgoing tide again. This did not prove as fruitfull as the prevous evening, as the fish did not seem to be up in the deeper holes on the flats. I did not get my first decent fish until just on dark and towards the bottom of the tide.

I noted a lot more boat traffic around, generating a lot of motor noise. I am wondering wether this had a affrect on the fish in the shallow water threw the daylight hours. As soon as the sun set it all changed they where a lot gamer.

I ended up with 5 good sized whiting and 1 good bream.

It is very interesting fishing the different tides and moon phases. Bigger tides and different moon phases I have found the size, type and aggressiveness of the fishes feeding changes drastically.

For those fishing new territory keep fishing the same area for a while until you get to know its cycles and it makes it much easier to catch a feed of fish.

Shane
    I need less fishing gear and more fish....

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice feed.....Yum
    Rock N Reel King

Check out my photos Dan's Fishing Life

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Well Done Mate All Way's Good To See The Kid's Having A Feed Of Fish.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

hi shane how are you mate ? i love to see kids out there getting amongst the fish and having some fun...keep up the good work mate

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

awesome write up shane. Good to hear that you're catching something and actually studying the fish behaviour.

For everyone else, shane is a top bloke and recommended this site to me. Hope to go fishing with him one day!