Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mourliyan Harbour Sesh!

Hi All,

Over the last week, I managed to scoot down to Mourilyan Harbour located around 15 mins south of Innisfail.

Mourilyan Harbour is a port of call for boats that export cattle and sugar overseas. Exactly where I am unsure, but over 15 years ago, the big wharf was a public wharf with ALOT of people fishing, however it is all fenced now, so you have to fish from the rocks which actually gives you a good angle to under the wharf.

This harbour is fished HARD - very hard. So to go for barra etc around the wharf, to me is a waste of time, UNLESS you know the area like my cousin, Phil Austin. BUt there are big fish that hang around here, but with the gear I was using, your standard species of reasonable size is what I was after.

In saying this, for a 2 hour session, managed to catch a few barracuda, Queenfish, a bream and this nice GT.

Not a big or thrilling session, but wanted to share this.

Cheers - Ben

Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ben, isnt it always thrilling when you have a rod in your hand which is connected a fish....beats sitting at home watching TV hey!....& geez that water in the background is crystal clear!!

Thanks heaps for sharing that with us - Has anyone ever told you you have a beautiful smile

Keep those fishy photos coming!!
    No excuse - Just get out there and live it !!

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

I've nearly been towed off that wharf by Sharks... you arn't wrong by saying its fished hard, it used to be packed with fisho's before they fenced it off. Have got some nice Jacks there in the past off those Rocks on Plastics... havn't fished it for a few years.
    Theo Davis
    Far North Qld

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey T,

You betchya mate - with these holidays I am not after big rip snorter sized fish, (they are welcomed though) but just after a good session on light gear. Yeah Mourilyan Harbour had some terrific coloured water there the other day and lots of big sardines. Again, a fishy looking area but lacks good quality fish due to it being hit hard EVERY DAY!!

Theo - I know the rocks you are talking about (well I think I do) and those are the ones near the boat ramp. I caught a stonker of a Jack ages and ages ago on a Gold Bomber. The bait is there and structure - just a matter of right time, right place.

Cheers - Ben
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Striped Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work happy chappy!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be happy with a little session like that Ben, I would be happy at the moment to catch just one little GT on my breal gear.........FUN!
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by adidaspeteman View Post
    I'd be happy with a little session like that Ben, I would be happy at the moment to catch just one little GT on my breal gear.........FUN!
    Not long now Pete and they'll be queing up.
    Cheers Nath
    It's not about the fish, it's about fishing!

Real men wear PINK!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nath86 View Post
    Not long now Pete and they'll be queing up.
    Cheers Nath
    YAY, I got good news Nath. we will only be in Kalbarri for one night then plan to be in Exmouth sept 13th onwards, probably 3 or 4 days at least. Can you pm me your contact details?
    Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...