Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Persistance pays off

Yesterday after work I met up with fellow ActiveAngler.net member echo1. We hit Barrack street jetty for a while but the bream did not want to party. Erik did get wrapped around a pylon and busted off once though. The only party goers were the blowfish and the tourists on the ferries.

Erik had to leave and change of location was due for me so I moved to the Canning river and decided to give the Canning bridge a go after the posts by da_houghsta.

On arrival I noticed boils in the down current and soon some dolphins showed there noses. They were busy containing and ripping into the huge amount of bait around the bridge. The pelicans were also charging the tailor, mullet and unknowns. With so much going on underneath the old structure I didn't know where to cast first.

I dropped a little ecogear blade down to the depths a jigged it back towards me. Three times i hooked up to little jumping tailor but the jumps threw the lure. Then the dolphins moved in right under me and spooked the area. I moved to another spot and jigged away my trusty 35mm metal. This time I felt snagged, then the snag moved like a huge weight but the hooks just pulled. The hookup felt very light. This happened another few times, light pin and as the unknown creature moved the hooks would pull. These were the strangest hookups I have felt while breaming, maybe a mulla or ray???? Then the dolphins came over again and no more tailor and unknowns. Next I jigged the pylons to see if the bream were home or if the comotion in the area had sent them packing. Well, no bream and 4 snagged lures....not happy Jan!

Now the sun was setting and a bit of rain was dripping between the cracks of the bridge. I had enough of loosing my wage to snagging on baitos lines so I moved to a jetty not to far away. I did not expect to still be out after dark but I wanted to land a fish, any fish other then a blowie.
    I sent my last crusty blade down along a pylon and with one jig .......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....ping! Busted up big time! With shaking hands I looped on a baby vibe and let if woft down. HOOKUP! A biggy from the darkness had me chasing along the edge of the jetty, but this time the drag was set a bit tighter and soon the bluelipper was mine. 40cm of joy. Now I could go home. A few last cast and a couple of smaller bream in five minutes and I left.

Bream chasing addict of tackle and all things fishy...

Barramundi
    Post Thanks / Like

Yea thinking of giving that spot a go tomorrow. I am sooo getting sick of the amount of fishing line I'm losing my lures to at the canning bridge - is it snaggy where you were?

With the odd takes at the bridge, I've had a couple like that. In my opinion it feels like it's either hooked onto a peice of line, which the lure then slides down until it pops off, or foul hooking a bigger fish. Also there are plenty of shags in the area that have taken a liking to the metal vibes - have hooked 2 of them and when they are underwater they pull very hard. I had a big hit today on an ecogear which tore line off my reel and took a while to get in etc. It ended up being a foul hooked grunter about 20cm long! I could have sworn it was something much much bigger! but sometimes I get those grunters every cast.

Anyway - well done on the fish - still plenty bigger than anything Ive got so far. My turn next?

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

It's less snaggy near the jetty.

The light hookups were onto something heavy, could be the shaggs.

Your turn for the bigone mate.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

good job pete. Thanks for letting me tag along. I guess it wasn't so bad goin home early as i didn't lose any more lures.

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

I might have to get out and have a look at the canning haven't fished there in a coupple of months

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Pete, It's no GT, but its still a very nice fish.
    Me thinks I'll have to wonder down to the river soon to see what i can catch.

Cheers Nath
    It's not about the fish, it's about fishing!

Real men wear PINK!

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

The bluelipper was a real phat beauty, it pulled real hard. Way Harder then the other bream i got in winter....

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by da_houghsta View Post
    With the odd takes at the bridge, I've had a couple like that. In my opinion it feels like it's either hooked onto a peice of line, which the lure then slides down until it pops off, or foul hooking a bigger fish.
    I also had lots of these 'hits' while fishing with pete on wednesday. I would feel the weight, then lift to set the hook but the lure would come back.
    Sure has me stupmed