Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Shown up again!

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Shown up again!

Took the kids down Baron River this afternoon to try our luck and had a ball. Once again gathering live bait couldn't be easier, one cast had us a live tank full of herring. As the tide had about an hour and a half left to the bottom we decided to try for some prawns. The usual spots where drains enter the main river had a few prawns but not enough for a feed so we kept a couple of dozen for bait headed down to the mouth to start fishing.
    The first couple of rods where baited with herring, running ball straight to the hook. The ebb tide was quite fast so the herring where pinned through the nose to keep them facing up stream. Then a couple of live prawns were sent toward the bank side snags, I like to rig these on wide gape style hooks. They seem to sit well when pinned through the second last tail segment of the prawn and work similar to circle hooks providing corner of the mouth hook sets on most occasions.
    Those prawns lasted all of 10 seconds and the first Javelin fish of the day was landed and released. These fish weren't all that big, around 23-28 cm, but great fun on 10lb mono. A few of the resident estuary cod joined in for good measure as well as a nice little silver jew of 34cm.
    The herring weren't as popular with the little fish however we did get a couple of solid hits. My youngest son thought it would be fun to dangle a live herring in the snags on his whitting gear. Fun alright, was like the rice bubble ad, snap crackle pop! By the time he realised he had a bite the fish had screamed the little reel and found the snags. Our hunch was Mangrove Jack 1, us 0.
    We soon ran short on prawns and had alot of fun in the process. The tide was starting to flood, so a quick little brainstorm and the idea was to up anchor and drift the flat with some soft plastics. The terminal gear was replaced with an assortment of slick rigs and sqidgy fish and before we headed for the flats we swam the plastics to make sure every thing was the way it should be. This was when our earlier hunch was confirmed, with one of the boys hooking a nice little Jack of 37cm. We then flogged the water to foam trying to repeat the result, but came up short.
    After moving to the start of our drift the first cast of my oldest son had him hooked up to a horse of a Tarpon. This thing was at least 55-60cm and going off it's nut. You have to love boatside takes and all the commotion that ensues. Unfortunately Dad (me) didn't have a landing net in the boat and while trying to lift it onboard it threw the hook, so no photo or measure but it was the biggest Tarpon I've seen up here in FNQ.
    The drift was a little quite after that, spooked some nice flatties and the ever present stingrays and landed a little GT. Light was getting away from us so we pulled the pin and headed for home.
    Great day out with the kids doing what I love best!

p.s. even if the little buggers show up the old man.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can't seem to upload photo's?

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Dusty,

if you like send me the pic via email and i will post for you. What probs are you having with the pic and posting. Should be able to help.

Cheers

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Happy,
    I followed the thread explaining how to post using photobucket, had no probs there but when I tried to attach to thread it said something about invalid file name?
    The link that I posted doesn't work because stupid me deleted the photo on photobucket.
    The photos are quite big too, 10meg camera, maybe that is part of the problem?

Anyway thanks for any help, I'll reload onto photobucket so you can at least see the photo.

Dusty.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dusty.

Hope this helps a little with you downloading photos.
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum...ead.php?t=2695

Otherwise like Aaron mentioned drop a line...l'm sure you will get a bite.