Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sydney Harbour 19feb10

Hi all,

with a midday knockoff on friday and the arvo to kill decided to drop the boat into the harbour for more exploring and learning. After a quick chat to the boys at Windsor bait and tackle , they pointed me into the direction of a new ramp and part of the harbour to fish.

The ramp (yellow pin)is located on the paramatter river that feeds into the harbour.

The plan was to do a bit of travelling, explore and have a flick at a few areas that caught my attention. The first few bridges i came to i tried a few drifts concentrating on the pressure waves caused by the falling tide then a drift pass the structure. I should of tried a blade but fished a 1/12 1/0 tt head and a berkely gulp prawn. the water was still dirty from the recent rain so decided to travel further up looking for cleaner water.

I fished a few mored boats targeting those with a bit of marine growth. The best way was to look for the oldest,crappiest boats or yatches with out masts. I managed a few hits throwing a Viking crank minnow but with the boats moving around on the moorings i found it hard to get a good cast under the boats.

Deciding to leave the boats and focuss on hard structure i started to fish channel markers and poles and was instantly rewarded witha nice bream that ate the gulp.

The bream looked a in great condition

I travelled further downstream towards the bridge.Boat traffic was everywhere with the trailer sailors and yatchs having an friday arvo ragatta. I rounded the corner a came across Cockatoo island which is part of 3 islands just before the fomous Harbour bridge. Reading reports that bream had been caught around the area i fished it with eagerness.

I soon found bream kissing the surface around moorings and threw everything at them but just couldnt get them to bite I tried resin heads and bass minnows for that slow sink, poppers and hardbodies. Will have to read up and watch more stuff ragarding bream and tactics when this is happening.

I drifted further out and threw my gulp down into the following structure

after watching it sink down around 15 ft a felt a clunk and set the hook and watch the reel scream in protest as about 15 meters of braid flew off at speed before the braid rubbed through on the barnicles a rat kingy or jew my guess was the culprit.

Nailed another bream from a single pole using the bass minnow and resin head. the bream wanted the lure and swallowed it hole whith just the resin head protuding.

The bream looks like it has once been in the wars with a net witha gouge in its head.

Decided to pop my nose around to the harbour bridge for a quick pic before heading home.

Had a good arvo session, learnt a bit, found some new country to fish and yet need to learn a heap more to target bream in the varied structure the harbour provides.
    Last edited by happygilmour; 20-02-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Good onya Aaron good to see you starting to get to know the surroundings and get onto a few fish.

Coxy.

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Caught a few undersirables like small tailor as well. They kept me entertained between the bream