Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tarpon
    Post Thanks / Like

smallunit could find a 60 plus anywhere

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Mine have all been between 35cm and 53cm. Most have tended to be around 40-48.. Maroochy and Mooloola rivers.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

great thread chewy, Heres what Ive learned from science;
    mangrove jacks are not sexually mature until they reach 50cm.they hang in the estuaries all summer and winter until they reach breeding maturity after a few years, then they move to the reefs for life. they do NOT come up esturies to spawn.

heres what Ive learned from experience;
    you can catch a few jacks around 45 cm and think thats the average size for the river, but youre wrong, bigger ones lurk. they can reach up to 60 cm in any system before they move out. Its all about local layout, lakes and exit points. Bigger ones congregate in areas that seem relativley landlocked but are still linked to rivers and exit points. So catch big ones up the end of the creeks near weirs or lakes like Coothariba or Coomera, but catch mid range ones in the Burrum.

Smoe fish break the rules, Ive caught big ones in other locations like the Broadwater and I know a guy who catches consistant 60+cm ones in the Seaway. There are no rules with these fish.

I dont think they are any bigger in SE qld than central Qld. I think people draw false conclusions based on catching only 2 or 3 fish. This could be the first thread where experienced jack hunters actually compare notes honestly.

Please destroy this thread after 3 weeks!!!

cheers
    Andrew

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure I've read that they spawn out in the big blue, then the baby jacks all make a gauntlet for whatever river system they can swim into. They they stay there until maturity, then leave without ever returning. I guess on the odd occasion you'll find a jack that's too stupid to do what nature intended for it.

Barra Fingerling
    Post Thanks / Like

CQ district, 54-58cm jack captures are a common standard - it's fact that fishing style influences catch sizes. 60-64cm also turn up from time to time. Also, the number of jacks in many east coast estuaries is mind blowing, highlighted by winter time swims in cleaner waters. Any creek I jump in, armed with a video camera results in plenty of 40-50cm fish on screen.
    Science is good in one hand, and local time in the field by experienced anglers is 'another' valued input level. The two come together and tell a better story.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123