Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: New Adventure

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Default New Adventure

Hey fello fisho's,

As the weather has been blowing a gale over the past two weeks that we've been in 1770, we decided to go talk to the local tackle store owner to ask for some advice on where we could go to chase some jacks and barra. As the local river of 1770 has been getting a hammering, with all the holiday makers. There would be over 20-30 boats on the river each day, fishing and checking there pots, so to much commotion..... He told us to go hit up this little creek that hardly gets fished, only a few locals know of it. He told us he has had great success on jacks in there!! So we went to check it out that arvo. No wonder it hardly gets fished, its in the middle of nowhere and pretty difficult to find. Got there and had a look around and i now know why he has had great success on jacks in this creek it was loaded full of lay down logs and huge trees that had fallen in, never seen a creek this fishy before. Found the little mud ramp where we could launch the boat the next day and went and got a rod for a flick. Dad first cast got a bird nest haha, got it out and second crank got smashed by a nice little barra, but it jumped and threw the hook.... walked the bank a bit more and saw some more great snags. Next day we took the boat down and headed of about 1 ish, just motored down the creek looking around and sussing it out for about 40min, and it looks so good!!!! Had a flick here and there and second cast i hooked up, in came a nice little 27cm jack, wasn't huge but we got what we set out to target. We didn't expect much this trip as we did alot of searching and the water was only 22 degrees... Can't wait to get back to fish it next time we come up in summer!!

Cheers Dane
    Attached Images Attached Images
    To much water to fish and not enough time......

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Always good fun exploring a new spot Dane. Well done on the target species mate.
    Steve
    Finally got one

Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

onya mate. wat ya get him on?

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

He fell to a little rapala 10 shallow diver, in the ghost colour i think it is haha well the white one lol

Staff
    Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff getting some local knowledge. Tackle shop owners and staff are a wealth of information. I'm sure you'll see the benafits of having a secluded spot away from all the tourists. You did what you set out to do.

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

nice work dane was up that way over easter to had the same problem as well as the 150mm off rain a couple off days before we got there

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Did you manage to get any though Pete??

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

yer got a couple off little fellows on manns 10s water was just black so were the jacks

Sailfish
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Dane and it was great of the shop owner to advise you on a new spot. Ghost is one of my favourite Rapala colour and have had many successes on it. Can't wait to see how you go in Summer. Might have to come up and join you
    I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself...

Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff Dane, love exploring new fishing grounds and that place looks fantastic