Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure is Mick, may aswel rename the thread to Whiting tips 101. lol
    Ben..

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Baker View Post
    PS. trade worms for flathead - NOT wives
    thought I would get in first before Goob or somebody picked up the ambiguity.
    Cheers, Mick
    Sorry Mick, I didn't read it that way - just thought that you had the wrong type of head.

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys, while i am sure those light weight soft plastic rigs work well.

Unfortunately when you fishing comps at all different times of year in a lot of different conditions you need a set up that will work anywhere, everytime and artificials just don't do that with whiting.

King of the Pin fishing Comp this weekend, just got back from a quick session, here's 2 whiting caught tonight in 5 meters of fast flowing water. cheers wayne
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see the saddle marks on the side

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Wayne,top fish.I bet you are hoping for something similar in the comp.Let us know how you go.
    The rig Goob was using the day we had out was a hidden weight jig head covered with blood worm instead of a soft plastic.It worked well in water about 1m deep but I could definately see problems in deeper fast running water that I frequently fish and such as your latest captures.The only whiting I have caught on lures have been by catch while fishing plastics for flathead.
    Cheers, Mick
    aspire to inspire before you expire

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mick, they are my comp fish, comp started 6pm last night, was home by 11pm.

Kept 40cm one alive then upgraded to bigger one and released the other, probably not a winner but good enough to take to weigh in without my mates giving it to me about only catching small fish.

Will post results on the site Sunday, win or loose, cheers wayne

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne, apparently Dougie Burt weighed a genuine 1kg whiting that was caught at the pin during the week or last weekend. I think it went 1.02?kg.
    Said he had a photo as well.
    Have you seen this fish or the photo or heard about it?

Jeff.

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jeff, no mate haven't heard about it but would be very interested in a photo of it on a measuring stick.

Have seen pond donkeys over a kilo, "they don't count", but the biggest wild fish i have ever seen was 47cm and 970gr caught in Tally Creek.

This fish was taken during summer spawning period and was in peak condition.

If the 1 kilo one is legit and was caught at this time of year would have probably made 1.15 kg if it had been caught during spawning period, would also be around 15 years old, cheers wayne

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne, I heard Burtie on the abc fishing show this morning on the radio at 5 am.
    He said he took a photo of it himself and he was going to email the photo to the fishing show host. The info came straight out of his mouth and he has a pic in possession.

I'd love to see the pic, a 1kg whiting is equivalent to a 1000lb Marlin hey?

Jeff.

Raw Pawn
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes Jeff certainly is, it is the holy grail to whiting fishermen.

Really need to see the length of it on a brag mat to tell where it came from though.

Have seen a 46cm pond donkey go 1.07kg, where as a 47 cm wild fish only go 970gr.

Where ever it came from they do exist, i might have to live to be a 100 to get mine though.

Thanks for the heads up i will certainly be seeing what i can find out, cheers wayne

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234