Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Busy Peel, Kyle on fire and what fish is this?

Hit Peel Island on Saturday and Monday with Kyle over Easter.

Saturday surprised us as there were few boats on the water but the fish were also scarce. Our northern Peel marks yielded nothing but grinners and a small tuskie so we headed to Goat where we found a sweet spot.

Using our patented technique of locking the i-pilot on the reef edge and casting bream lures across the tidal flow saw us bag around 15 small snapper to 32 cm. Lots of zzzzzzzzzs on the ultra light gear.

Headed back to the northern marks on the way home and got a few more undersize snapper and missed two big hook-ups. No-one at the Wello Point ramp so we were home and packed away by midday.

Monday was a different story. Kyle tied on a Scumline plastic prawn as we approached Peel under a nearly full moon before first light. While I'm getting organised he tosses his lure towards the reef and is nailed. After a good fight a 38cm snapper comes aboard. Two more drifts yielded nothing further so we headed to Goat as the sun came up. Boats were now roaring past on a regular basis.

After drifting the reefs for a while, waiting for the incoming tide we decided to head to our Saturday honey hole. Unfortunately someone was already anchored there. We tried a different spot nearby and Kyle gave me a fishing lesson!

Still using bream lures and ultra light gear, he first up nails a longtom then a 38cm tuskie. Then a 40cm snap, a 38cm snap, a 36cm snap, a few undersize snaps and a 42cm gold spot cod. Another 36 cm snap comes aboard before he spots some surface activity 30m away. After dropping a small tailor he nails a good sized dart. All on the same River2Sea shallow crankbait...

In the meantime I try everything, including three lure changes just to get some small reef dwellers, undersize snaps to 34cm and pike. One reef fish was particularly pretty and we could not identify it. I will attach some pics tonight when I get home. All fish released for another day...

Wello Point ramp was a disaster coming home as someone had broken down on the ramp and a tow truck was blocking all ramp traffic. Boats and trailers everywhere. Eventually got out and made it home...

Oh, and conditions on the bay were picture perfect. We saw a heap of dolphins and turtles and had a pair of dugong swim right past the boat in shallow water. Love the bay!

Cheers

Pete & Kyle
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a good way to spend a long weekend.
    Any chance you could show me how you guys are rigging the scumline prawns? I haven't had any luck getting it right, they seem to roll alot and not move well through the water.
    They look like they'll be dynamite if I get them swimming ok.

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great weekend Pete.
    That young fella of yours certainly has the touch hey. But then its the skipper that puts him there LOL.
    Steve
    Finally got one

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksta View Post
    Any chance you could show me how you guys are rigging the scumline prawns? I haven't had any luck getting it right, they seem to roll alot and not move well through the water.
    They look like they'll be dynamite if I get them swimming ok.
    John,

Kyle uses a 1/6th TT jighead with a 3/0 heavy wire hook. This is because we were fishing for snapper in 6 - 12m of water. Kyle bends the tail fluke up from the prawn and pushes the jighead in from the tail end.

When he twitches the rod tip, it flicks backwards quite naturally like a prawn and wafts down gently through the water column...

His initial hit came on a small lift off the bottom...
    And in the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.

- Abraham Lincoln

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers Peter, that weight is probably the key then. I generally fish plastics quite a bit lighter. I'll hold on to them for times when heavier heads are needed and give them another bash then.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Sound's like a top weekend's fishing Pete,Kyle must be a very good young fisho,good one fella's..

Baz

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Pics attached -

1. What fish is this? Some sort of chinaman?
    2. A 40cm snap in net
    3. On the stick
    4. A 42cm cod...

Notice Kyle's "braces-less" smile in the last pic!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Peter4; 10-04-2012 at 07:08 PM.

- Abraham Lincoln

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chewy....
    http://www.activeangler.com.au/forum/signaturepics/sigpic3_2.gif
    Its the quest,not the conquest...

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Kyle, as a fellow metal mouth, I know what a relief it is to lose the train tracks.
    Pete, I'm going juvenile chinaman mate
    "Remember - pain is temporary, glory is for ever, and chicks dig scars!"

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Great session Kyle! some top quality fish there! glad to hear you guys got out there and got into them.

I tried twice over Easter (around Redcliffe) but failed both times, can I borrow some of Kyle's Mojo.

Cheers,

Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast