Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the ActiveAngler.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Coral Trout
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Soujourn to Baffle Creek

First off l wish to say thanks to my mate Ian. There is nothing like local knowledge. Ian lives at the month of Baffle and without him l think it would be a struggle to find the areas that these fish live. Baffle Creek, Rock bars, Sandbanks, and Snags it can be treacherous to those that don’t know the area. Also the area has been subjected to floodwaters and still is muddy and brown. The general consensus is” too much fresh “ Nothing could be further from the truth… We launched at the little township of Winfield to fish the outgoing tide. The area Ian choose for the afternoon fish was the fingers of rockbars that jut out from the bank. The lure that has been working was a Manns +20 modified with owner hooks and split rings in a dark green colour. The method was to cast upstream and let the lure bump its way with the tide through the rocks until it was behind the boat then repeat the procedure. Sounds easy? . When you have a lure that has been changed from floating to sinking. Not easy for this little black duck. Ian soon explained that in order to stop being snagged you have to lift your rod as soon as you feel a rock. Its then that the Jack hit your lure… Bang on….. l get it… The action all happened in about 45 minutes. Four good jack. Time to go home.. Mangrove Jack for tea...Bottle creek was the destination for a morning fish. Tide movement was the incoming tide. The same Lure was used but this time the creek banks and the trees that have fallen in along the edge where the target. But being Australia Day it was the fishers lucky day all were released. This method is quite different for the previous day. Cast to the bank and give the lure a couple of flicks Then wait… Flick again… Repeat . Mr jack has the advantage in the terrain. Have you wits about you or the lose the fish and the lure. l did notice Ian had increased his drag and l can see why ! It all happens in about a split second. Its drag them out stuff. With no quarter given…The fish that where incounted where undersize but they knew where home was… Home for lunch Grilled jack with lemon…
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "For some people in our society, retirement is a tragedy. It's the end of their being productive and contributing something. We need productivity from everyone who is capable of contributing. Fishing is my vehicle, and I plan to keep going as long as I'm physically able."

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

4 nice lure caught jacks.

Got to be happy with a session like that!

Cheers,
    Roo.

Wahoo
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Trev, that's a good report, with some great photo's, a little different to the barra reports you generally post, but mate i reckon the Mighty Mangrove Jack is a very worthy adversary which gives the fisherman so much satisfaction, well done mate.

I set eyes on Baffle Creek many years ago, about 16 or 17 years it would have been, unfortunately there was no time to fish as it was a work trip. But i saw enough see that the area would be a great fishing destination, maybe one day i will get back there.

Once again thanks very much Trev, for taking the time to share your experiences.

Cheers,
    John.

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Top report - and excellent results Trev. Only 2 weeks to go for me. Yahoo !!!

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice shade of red Trev,

Thanks for sharing your report! Gotta love fishing the snagier places for 'em.

Enjoy dinner.

Cheers Dave

Sailfish
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice Trev!! Baffle is on our to do list!!
    Homeless, jobless and living out of a car..........bring on the good life

Giant Trevally
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work mate on the 4 lure caught jacks, they are of good size to!! Cant ask for more than that!! i'm hoping to do a trip to baffle creek soon, now you've got me even more pumped to go!!

Cheers Dane
    To much water to fish and not enough time......

Black Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

nice work trev, we couldnt find any...

love the whinnie the poo sox also..
    Experience is something you dont get until
    just after you need it.

Blue Marlin
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! Had lunch in the pub on he water there one day.
    Spent the whole time dreaming of casting lures around underneath the pub!
    Great report, cheers.
    Red

Fish Well, Fish Egrell

Red@redmandesigns.com.au

FishLife Magazine - best mag around
    Red@fishlife.tv

Legendary Angler
    Post Thanks / Like

Great work Trev...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast